Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Weekend at the museum...



A few hours of my Saturday and Sunday were spent at the museum.

Saturday, I did the 2PM guided tour of A Changed World. The following day, I did the 1130AM guided tour of the Singapore History Gallery.

Between the two, I was happier with the tour I gave for A Changed World. I thought the tour went really well.

Initially, I thought either the tour will be delayed because there are few museum guests or that it wouldn't push through.

Surprise, surprise.

A few minutes before 2PM, a Japanese couple came in and said they wanted to join the guided tour. They were then followed by a group of four Singaporeans.

I started with the tour and by the time we reached the fourth painting, the group has grown to quite a big one. I counted 10 Singaporeans, 2 Japanese, 4 Caucasians.

The reason I feel that it was a good tour was that the guests were responsive to questions. At the start of my tour, I would tell guests to feel free to share their thoughts about the art pieces. That way, the tour would be more interactive and they don't have to listen to me talking for an hour. Hehe!

For this particular tour, I liked how most of the guests (especially the Singaporeans) were surprised to find out that they actually carry a piece of Singapore art with them almost every day. I liked how, at the end of the tour, a few guests shared their favourite pieces and why it was their favourite.

I was really happy when I concluded the tour because I saw smiles on the guests' faces.

The same cannot be said of the Sunday tour. Lol!

I had quite a big group, too. A family of four Indians. Two Australians. One Canadian. One Brit.

Because there were kids in the group, I had to do away with some of the sections I usually include in my tour. The tour had to be child-friendly. Hehe!

Anyway, I think I have to change a bit of my tour for SHG. I need to think of ways to keep it more interesting.

1 comment:

  1. hahahaa wow! says a lot on the crowd and reaction lol. i would have thought the more caucasian crowd would be more interactive!

    ReplyDelete