Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Random blah about TMR...



I'm currently reading James Dashner's The Maze Runner.

Compared to Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch, TMR is an extremely easy read.

Perhaps because it is meant for a younger crowd. Perhaps because the author does not use words like "censorious," "trepidation," "redolent," "supercilious," "bilious," "crackerjack," and so on. Haha! Perhaps because the story flows very well.

On a side note, I do like it when I encounter words I don't use in my ordinary conversations. The good thing about the Kindle is that I can highlight the word and bookmark it. What would be even better is for me to write down all these new words in a notebook. I ought to include it in my daily convos I suppose. Haha!

Going back to the book, I was able to cover 80% in a matter of 4 days. I can't even write how long it took me to cover a quarter of The Goldfinch. Haha!

It's a good thing that I decided to start reading TMR after The Goldfinch. The former serves as a good break before I read another Dickensian work like The Goldfinch. Haha!

One more good thing about TMR is that it is part of a trilogy with a prequel. Hence, the need need to think about what book to read next is swiftly eliminated. Haha!

How faithful was the movie to the book? Hmm, I would say that the movie has significant differences compared to the book. The basic storyline is there. The execution is highly different. I am glad that I am reading the book now. It allows me to pinpoint the differences between the movie storyline and the book storyline.

The recent trilogies I have read are The Hunger Games, Divergent and now, The Maze Runner. First place goes to The Hunger Games, obviously. In terms of good book and good movie, it would have to go to The Maze Runner. That leaves the third place to Divergent. I enjoyed the movie very much. I couldn't say the same about the books. In particular, Insurgent was an excruciating read. Haha!

Thankfully, I'm done with the series. Thankfully, TMR is turning out to be much better. Let's see how the second and third book, as well as the prequel, are.

No comments:

Post a Comment