Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The cab ride to NUS Bukit Timah...

Just got back home from a training run with SG gang Ian, Edsel and Chris.

We went to the National University of Singapore campus in Bukit Timah, where there was a nice track oval.

On the way to the venue, Chris and I sort of got lost. We could see the NUS building but we somehow couldn't find the way to get there. Haha!

Instead, we found ourselves amidst the lush greenery of the Singapore Botanic Garden.

We headed out of the garden as soon as we saw the next exit and as soon as we got out, there was an empty cab that came our way. When GoThere fails, take a cab. LOL!

After telling the kind Uncle where to bring us, Chris and I proceeded to talk about work and other things.

The Uncle, a Singaporean who must be in his fifties, must have known that we were Filipinos, because he asked how often we came back to the Philippines.

Afterwards, he wowed us even more by telling us that he has been to the Pagsanjan Falls, Cebu, and even the Malacanang Palace where he saw the thousands of shoes of former First Lady Imelda Marcos.

I was really impressed and I felt proud that a local knows about the nice things about the Philippines.

However, his next statements kind of saddened me.

He said, "The Philippines is a very beautiful country. It used to be a favorite holiday destination of Singaporeans. But after all the news on terrorism, not anymore."

When Chris and I alighted from his cab, we had the same sentiments. It was really sad to hear another comment/story of how the Philippines used to be on its way to the top but somehow, something went wrong and it is where it is now.

This wasn't the first time I've heard the same comment from a local. And it does make me wonder, "What happened to us? I'm sorry I'm going to say this, but I think we need an iron fist to get us back to the top."

No comments:

Post a Comment