Sunday, September 23, 2012

Souls of Zen screening...


Hiking buddy Melvin invited me to watch one of the films screening at THIS Buddhist Film Festival 2012. (THIS = Thus Have I Seen). I didn't know about the film fest until he told me. Glad he invited me because it was an interesting event.

The theme of the event was "Open Your Mind." Films coming from 11 countries that reflect the cultural, social and religious aspects of Buddhism were shown. It's the first time the films are screened in Singapore.

The film we watched was Souls of Zen.

It was a documentary on the role Buddhism played in the society and the lvies of the victims of the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami catastrophe. The documentary shows how Buddhism played a critical role as the society recovered from the disaster.

It was a very educational film. Learned a bit more about the Japanese culture. Definitely was fascinated and was impressed again by the way of life of the Japanese. In my next life, can I please be Japanese? Hehe!

My take away from the film was a phrase as the end credits began... "It all starts with a desire to put a smile to someone's face... despite the odds."

There was another film I wanted to watch - One Mile Above. Unfortunately, tickets sold out quite quickly. :-/

I wasn't able to catch what "it" was really referring to, but I thought it was a very nice line.

No comments:

Post a Comment