Saturday, June 4, 2011

Mid-point PR rev was good.





Yesterday, I had my mid-point performance review with my team lead and I was pleased to hear that I'm doing as expected.

Simply put, I won't be packing my bags to go to Manila anytime soon. Haha!

Kidding aside, I was really glad when I read my performance review paper. My team lead is really a good, smart and cool TL, I gotta say. She cited a couple of instances which led her to the initial rating that she gave me.

Compared to the Philippines where the usual probation period is six months, here I'm having mine for three months. I don't know if it's the usual case here or if it's just with my workplace.

Uhm, what is it exactly that I do? I'm now in the publishing industry and I do production work for four medical journals. Three are related to Dentistry and one is Dermatology. Health professionals from different parts of the world submit papers about studies/researches they've done to the dentistry/dermatology society. The society sends all the papers to me so that I can publish them online and in print.

It seems like a simple job, but I'm telling you it's not. It involves a lot of processes and procedures. Add to that the fact that the authors, editors, printers, typesetters I work with are located in different parts of the world.

The first few weeks at work were a whirlwind of events. I would dream about my work. When I wake up in the morning, I would be thinking about what article-related issues I have to work on. On Sunday nights, I would start getting butterflies in my stomach. Haha! That's how stressed I was.

But thanks to helpful work colleagues, I'm slowly starting to get the hang of things. Early last week, I closed my first issue ever for one of my dentistry journals and another one for my dermatology journal. I was so proud. Haha!

There is a feeling of fulfillment after getting a paper online and an issue published, because I feel like I'm doing my part to ensure that the work of these health professionals are put out there. Ultimately, I'm hoping that these studies would help lead to some kind of medical advancement in dentistry and in dermatology. Hehe!

Come the first week of July, I will have another performance review and that's when I will get my confirmation appointment.

Yeah, that's how optimistic and confident I am. Haha! I have to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment