Thursday, June 16, 2011

Ready to go pink...

The Freedom To Love

A couple of years back, some good friends and I worked on this project.

It's called Icon magazine. Yeah, I dunno if people have heard of it. Hehe!

We did it for a good two years or so I think. We came out with about 8 issues, excluding the coffeetable book.

And the short time we did it was one of the best experiences I've had in my life.

I got to meet so many interesting people and learned about the Philippine LGBT history.

Getting to talk to so many LGBTs from all walks of life sort of ignited the "activist" which I know is somewhere inside of me (being a UP alumni. LOL!)

Anyway, prior to the move here to SG, I've already heard about Pink Dot. It made it to the news, and thanks to social media, made its way to so many blogs, Tumblr, Facebook pages, and so on.

I told myself that I'd like to get involved when I get to SG.

Several weeks ago, I emailed the organizers and told them I was interested to help out during the event as a volunteer.

Unfortunately, they said foreigners were not allowed to help during the event ONLY because of the venue rules. It sucks, but rules are rules and we don't want trouble.

This didn't stop me from still saying that I am interested to help out. Because I am. I really am.

I told the guys that I did writing for a living back in Manila, and that, uhm, skill was the one that got me started on getting involved.

I had no idea that the local LGBTQ community here is very active actually, and that there were actually several number of support groups and LGBTQ-friendly groups.

Impressive. Just impressive.

And I'm just happy that I've taken the first step towards getting involved.

Check this and check this.

No comments:

Post a Comment