Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Google Guy Derek Callow at the Ad Con...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

While I missed some of the sessions, I made sure that I got to attend the Friday afternoon sessions. Primarily, because the topics were related to my line of work and the company business, and I was sure I would be able to pick up several things. Our Marketing head was also one of the speakers that afternoon. He talked about mobile advertising.

One of my favorite speakers though was Google Southeast Asia's Derek Callow. I first listened to him during the SEO Conference last October, and I was sort of kicking myself for not approaching him then to congratulate him on his talk and to have my photo with him taken.

When I saw on the program that he was going to speak that afternoon and he was to speak before our boss, I couldn't be happier. It was perfect. I could listen to his speech. I can have my photo taken with him. And then I can go back to the forum hall to listen to and cover the speech of our boss. And that's what I did.

Most of my colleagues occupied several of the front row seats of the forum hall because we knew our boss was going to give a talk. But when they saw Derek Callow on stage, I heard several whispers of excitement. Clearly, I wasn't the only one who found Derek interesting. Great! I thought to myself, "Now I can ask one of them to go with me to take the photo."

My accomplice was Abbie from another department. She also attended the conference and she is also a fan of Mr. Callow. So it wasn't hard to convince her to go with me and wait for Mr. Callow outside the forum hall so we can get our photos taken.

When Derek said his parting words, Abbie and I immiediately headed out of the venue. We went to an "Authorized Personnel Only" area and patiently waited for Derek. After about ten minutes, we saw him walk towards our direction together with Google Philippines' people. When he was near already, I walked up to him and asked if we could have our photo taken with him. I first prodded Abbie to stand beside him but she said she was shy. So I ended up standing beside a slightly surprised Derek and had our photo taken. I even asked for a second shot. It was fantastic. I thought about asking for an autograph but I didn't want to scare the guy. What I should have done but didn't do though was give him a business card. Who knows? He might need an assistant or Google might need a Corporate Communications guy. Haha!

After getting our photos taken, I thanked Derek and shaked his hand. Then I walked back inside the forum hall and surprised my friends by showing them my photos with Derek Callow. They were all green with envy. Hahaha!

Getting that photo was one of my main highs from the Ad Con, I must say.

Oh, wait. Here are the main points of Derek's speech:

- Branding platforms are evolving and proliferating (eg.g outdoot -----> mobile)

- Consumers are the new brand managers

- Google Insights on Online Marketing
- Online platforms expose deep connections with consumers
- Leverage consumer behavior inyour brand
- Offline and Online ads should be integrated
- Marketing constantly embraces new platforms
- Creativity on the digital platform has only just begun.
- Leverage all of your accounts because you can.

2 comments:

  1. I know it may be several years too late, but thought you might truly appreciate this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUHcEpCe4Ao :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, wow. thanks for this. :) appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete