Sunday, November 18, 2007

On a Field Trip We Went...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I went on a field trip the other day. It was just around the city but it was really fun and filled with lessons.

One of the things about my new workplace is that the HR department has all these activities that are really enriching for the employees. I was already impressed with the group when I attended the new employees orientation months ago, and after being part of the field trip the other day, I feel even prouder to be part of this group.

Anyway, on the the field trip. We started out really early - 730AM. Together with around twenty or thirty other newbies, we learned more about the organization. We were grouped into three teams. I got assigned to the fun red team. The first challenge of the day was thinking of a choreography for the field trip theme song. Most of my team mates where shy and for some reason, I and one other team member ended up choreographing. Haha! It was really nonsensical, but it was amusing.

Afterwards, we hopped on the bus that took us to down south Parañaque where we visited the site which has the servers and all these other equipment which handle the SMS, phone calls, among others, of our almost 30M customers.

I tried my best to understand the technical jargon. The guy giving the tour tried his best to make us understand the technical jargon. And by the time we left, I was close to having a nosebleed because of the technical lessons but it was okay. Hehehe! At least, I learned something.

Then came the most exciting part. We headed to a busy neighborhood somewhere in Quezon City, where we had to get people to buy the company's products. It was fun because I got to experience how it is to be an agent even for an hour. My buddies and I were running in the streets carrying a banner, going door-to-door to ask people if they were interested to become product retailers. We got quite a number of people to say yes.

Last stop was our customer care office still in Quezon City. We went around the different departments that handle calls from customers. I really salute the people who have the patience and the passion to do this job. I don't know if I can. So I really look up to people who can handle irate clients.

When we ended the trip, it was almost nine in the evening. We had a great dinner at one of the local restaurants. And by that time, my team mates and I had already established a good rapport. We were a little bummed out that we didn't emerge as the overall champion from the day's challenges (just first runner-up) but still, it was great because the camaraderie and the friendships formed during the activities were more invaluable.

I've always believed that experience is the best teacher. And by being part of this one-day field trip, I learned more not just about the company I work for, but also about the people and the work they do. I'm really impressed.

No wonder people say that we're "simply amazing" and that we have "the power to lead!" Hahaha! *wink wink*

No comments:

Post a Comment