Sunday, November 15, 2009

All set for James Jean next weekend...

Photobucket

Photobucket





I'm really looking forward to the James Jean signing this weekend. I dunno. I guess it's because I'm excited to see the person behind the fantastic Spring/Summer 08 collection of Prada. Haha!

Last Friday, after doing some research on the artist, I became more determined to get some of his commercially-produced works. I was sort of ashamed that I only knew about James Jean because of Prada. Haha! My friends Carlo and Wes are the ones who are quite familiar with Mr. Jean's work. I was even surprised to find out that both have books which have James' work. I shouldn't be actually. Carlo is a graphic artist/novelist after all, and Wes is a voracious reader. Hehe!

Anyway, so the hunt for the available James Jean titles happened Friday afternoon. Initially, I just thought of getting Xoxo because it was the most affordable. I told myself that since I just wanted something for James to sign, Xoxo was enough. But when I saw what Kindling had to offer, I just knew I had to get it. I can frame the pieces and hang them up in my three-bedroom unit. Hahaha! The paintings/artwork collection is starting to be a reality. The three-bedroom unit continues to be a dream.

I called Fully Booked GB5 to ask whether they had the two books. Kindling was sold out, only one copy of Xoxo left. Aha! I took it as a sign, and had the book reserved under my name. Next, I called Fully Booked High Street. They had some copies of Xoxo and several copies of Kindling. Yey! But then I was told that they weren't accepting reservations for it since many people wanted to get the book.

That sort of got me all the more excited to get the book. I wasn't too keen on going to High Street that night (I didn't want to give up Sweeney Todd), and at the same time, I was afraid that I might ran out of copies.

Hmm, what to do? What to do? I checked the list of Fully Booked stores and when I saw Sketchbooks GB3, I immediately gave them a call to ask about Kindling.

They had one more copy, but like FB BHS, no reservations. I asked to speak with the manager and in my most pa-charming and pa-awa tone, I said, "Sige na please. I promise to get it later. Please please." And that was it. Haha! I asked for the manager's name and thanked her very much.

So I'm now the proud owner of two James Jean. I haven't opened both books yet. Some may find this weird, but I need to have a "right moment" to open good stuff like this. Just like the September issue of US Vogue. I either wait for the weekend when I'm relaxed, just so I can enjoy the pages.

Hmm, I'll probably open the books this Friday, too. For now, the previews thanks to YouTube are more than enough. Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment