Thursday, April 29, 2010

Barking for the environment...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The entire month of April has just been crazy, really crazy.

It was mainly because of our Earth Day participation. But aside from providing the publicity and communications support for those activities, there were other special projects that needed attention at the same time.

So, it was crazy. Just crazy.

Things are starting to normalize now though. I still have to work on some post-Earth Day press releases et al, but I can say that I'm breathing properly again. Haha!

Speaking of Earth Day, we had our culminating activity last week. It was a walk your dog event, and I have to say that it was my favorite amon all the Earth Day 2010 activities.

Billed Bark for the Environment: A 1.5K/3K Walk Your Dog event, the activity gathered animal lovers and earth lovers together on an early Sunday morning in the name of our dear Mother Earth.

The event was extremely special and memorable for me because I was part of the two-person team that mounted the event. My work colleague Sam was on top of the whole event, while I was in charge with the communications/publicity support. I did find myself though helping out in organizing the "race...errr, walk."

A day before the event, we were at the Ninoy Aquino Parks & Wildlife in QC supervising the setup for the walk the following day.

Having attended all those organized runs certainly helped. It gave me ideas on how to mount the event, how to dress up the venue, what the starting line should look like, among others.

I felt really, really good when our fantab supplier was already mounting the event streamer on top of the starting line arch. Who would've thought that the race participant would be a race organizer?! Hahaha!

I know, I know. It's a small thing and it's nothing as big as the runs at the Fort, but I'm really proud with the outcome of the event.

There were close to 180 participants. Wait, I have to clarify that further. About 100 humans and some 80 dogs attended the event. Hehe!

The event was really amusing. Canine friends in all breeds, shapes and sizes arrived and they were all so cute. There were a couple of really cute owners as well. Wahaha! Would've been a perfect opportunity to walk up to someone and say, "Cute dog. Not that surprising, because your pet's got a cute owner." Wahahaha! Really terrible pickup line. Hahaha!

One of the highlights of the event was a commitment wall where we asked participants (both humans and animals) to make their pledge for the environment by placing hand and paw prints on our commitment wall. I thought it was fantab seeing everyone do it.

We ended the entire thing around 9AM. We had to keep it short, because the weather was starting to get too hot for the dogs. Seriously.

So that's it really. I'm really, really happy that the even turned out well. All the dogs behaved. All the humans were cooperative. And in the end, we were all just happy to have had that venue to walk and bark for the environment. Arf!

1 comment: