Monday, May 14, 2012

Brunch at Paul in Ngee Ann...




























Where another cafe used to be right next to Kinokuniya (I can't remember if it was TCC) in Ngee Ann now serves as the home of Paul Maison De Qualité 1889.

Paul is a French bakery restaurant that recently opened in Singapore. From what I've read, the place is quite popular in countries where it has branches.

The last time I headed down to Ngee Ann, I noticed that there was a new restau. I was quickly intrigued by the new place upon seeing from afar that 1.) the interiors looked very nice, 2.) the place was packed (a good indicator that it's a must-try), and 3.) there was a queue just outside the dining place. 

Last Sunday, I got all excited when Pg Boy told me that the birthday brunch for their friend Alynn was going to be at Paul. Orchard on a Sunday is a bad idea, but I thought that it should be okay since we were going to be there early.

Our small group of four met up at Paul around 1130. Pg Boy didn't have to wait that long to get a table, I think. (I say I think because I went around to buy some stuff for Moms Day.) Our table was very near the bakery of the cafe, which gave us a good view of all the baked goodies. I was more excited about the breads rather than the brunch menu. Hehe!

Anyway, I ordered the Crepe Complete - turkey and cheese in a pancake topped with a fried egg. It also came with a small portion of greens. Alynn had something similar but with mushrooms. Ho had roasted chicken. Pg Boy had one of the croques.

For dessert, we got a fruit tart, a lemon tart, Napoleon, and macarons. I must say that I enjoyed dessert more. While the crepe tasted nice, I would have added a few more dollars to what I paid and I could have had a bigger brunch plate at one of the other brunch places around the island. The desserts (and most probably the breads) would be the main reason to head to Paul. 

Just beside the restau, the bakery would be found. The few hours we sat there, there wasn't a moment where there was no customer buying baked goodies. Really nice. 

What Paul can improve on is the service. It's kind of challenging to get the attention of the wait staff. Sure, the place was packed but that has never been an acceptable excuse for me. 

Nevertheless, I think I will go back to Paul to try the mains or if I happen to be in the area, and I'm craving for some nice pastries or freshly baked bread.

Where to find Paul: Ngee Ann City Tower B, 3rd Floor, next to Books Kinokuniya. Open from 9am to 9pm daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment