Sunday, May 27, 2012

Friday night din at Torte...



























Usually, the problem with eating out on a Friday night is that most places would be packed by the time I reach the city.

It's the same story whichever city you go to, be it here or back in Manila. Because it's the end of another work/school week, everyone just wants to chill out, have a nice dinner, and enjoy the start of the weekend.

And because a thousand or so other people are thinking the same thing, finding a relaxed, quiet dinner place that serves good food without burning a hole in your pocket can be quite challenging.

Last Friday, Pg Boy and I were pleasantly surprised to have found a somewhat hidden gem of a chill dining place for a Friday night.

Before the day ended, I did some surfing and thanks to the blog Rubbish Eat, Rubbish Grow, I learned about Torte.

I suggested the place to Pg Boy and he was up for it.

Because I had some errands to do, I reached Waterloo St close to 8PM. On the way there, I was already expecting the place to be full.

To my surprise, I arrive to a very relaxed Pg Boy having a beer while talking to a casually-dressed guy.

Upon reaching the table, I say hi to both of them. The guy immediately welcomes me, introduces himself, and gives a handshake. His name is Jason and it turns out that he's the chef of Torte.

He shows us the menu, and then starts talking about the dishes they serve. After describing how he does the roasted chicken, I was convinced that that was what I wanted. Pg Boy, on the other hand, settled for the fish and chips. The beer he ordered, peach-flavored Belgian beer, was also quite nice.

The nice thing about Torte is that it has almost all the things you may want for a Friday night dinner - al fresco dining, with wooden tables and benches, mood lighting, soft music playing in the background that allows you to chat with your dinner mates, a very friendly chef, and of course, quality and value-for-money food.

The dish Pg Boy and I got each cost $13. I'd have to say that it's quite reasonable and definitely allows you to still have enough moolah for dessert and coffee afterwards.

Jason was trying to get us to try the desserts, but we declined. I wanted to go for a walk before having dessert because I was quite full from dindin.

That leaves me reason to go back again to Torte one of these days. There are more items to try on the menu. I definitely want to try the brunch set.

Torte
96 Waterloo Street
#01-07 Singapore Council of Women's Organisation Centre
Tel:  6571 0197
http://www.torte-sg.com

No comments:

Post a Comment