Thursday, March 27, 2008

The hills are alive...

The hills of our country are alive with the sound of homophobia...

I was in a cab on my way home last night. Went boxing and since I was dead tired, I didn't care about a thing - the traffic, the honking of vehicles - as soon as I settled in the back seat. What caught my attention was this song playing on the radio.

It was the first time I heard that song and I wasn't sure who sang it. Thank heavens for Google though. The song was "Hindi ako bakla" by actor/comedian Michael V.

Though the guy is a good actor and a comedian, this one song wouldn't definitely be drawing any laughter from me and I'm sure from 10% of this country's population.

Anyway, here's nice news - Mike Enriquez is really a media guy to be respected.

This morning, I was listening to the radio again on my way to work. A police report was airing. The correspondent was describing the suspect involved - "Mike, the guy who tried to steal the bag is a big guy. He's dressed neatly. You wouldn't suspect he has bad intentions. But also, he admitted... he admitted that he's gay." - followed by a snicker.

Mike Enriquez responded to the last description, "Okay, although that has nothing to do with what he was accosted for."

Thank you, Mr. Enriquez. We need more media people like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment