Thursday, December 16, 2010

The SCMS 2010 - Truly a race like no other...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Alright, the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2010 is definitely one of the many things that made my 2010 memorable.

Even before the start of 2010, I was already decided to sign up for the SCMS run. Initially, the plan was to do the Standard Chartered run in Hong Kong, but that didn’t push through. The one in SG was more achievable since it gave me almost an entire year to prepare. Haha!

When CebuPac had a seat sale in February, I took advantage of it and booked for a December 3 flight. Thankfully, the SCMS run sched was already available and it fit the schedule I was eyeing for the trip. I got a really good deal, too! P4,300 for a Manila-SG-Manila fare!!!

The registration for the run was set to open in May and was supposed to be open until September. Kamusta naman?! Within a month, all the slots for the half-marathon have been filled. Wow!!! It’s a good thing I was set on joining the run. Otherwise, I would have really bopped my head really hard. Haha! LA-based friend Jimmy was also planning to join the run, but there were no more slots by the time he decided to sign up. Ugh! Too bad. It would’ve been awesome to meet up with him in SG, since we always only see each other in Pinas. Haha! Oh well, maybe next time.

I was really, really impressed with how well the race was organized. Sure, I’ve had good experiences with local race organizers but I wanted to see how different SG will be. The SCMS race organizers didn’t disappoint. Except for the directions to the race pack collection area (which was a bit difficult to locate), everything went smoothly. The only registration was perfect. I got text messages from SG reminding me about the run. Race pack distribution was quick and organized. They even got the MRT to open earlier for the half-marathoners!!!

The SCMS 2010 is definitely a good start for destination racing.

The Preparations
I tried to follow a half-marathon training plan from Hal Higdon, but I failed because the training plan was devoted to running. I just couldn't give up Toby's spinning, Reagan's street dance and Lex's/Pio's yoga. Hehe! But the entire year has been peppered with runs. In addition to the hamster time on the treadmill at GG, I was able to join 10 organized runs prior to the SCMS run.

I started the year with a 10K at the Condura Run, then the 15K at the Green Miles Run, before going crazy and signing up for my first 21K at the Nature Valley Run. Initially, I wanted the SCMS to be my first 21K but after doing the 15K at Unilab, it seemed like it was only natural to sign up for a half-marathon. Two more half-marathons followed after - the PIDM and the Rexona Men - but I didn't pressure myself in both runs. Hence, the 3-hour run time. Hehe!

It was the last two runs before the SCMS - Unilab and BGC Run - that encouraged me to try to perform better at the SCMS run after achieving PRs at both runs. I wasn't even aiming for a PR, so the PRs were a nice surprise. Haha!

However, days before the SCMS race, I fell sick. The sudden change in Philippine weather gave me cough and colds. I was feeling feverish days before the run. I also got worried because I know how hot it is in Singapore. I was afraid that the hot/cold weather would make me sicker. And it did. I doubled my multi-vitamins intake. I drank lots of Biogesic.
And even if I was close to accepting that I would already have a 3:15 run time for my half-marathon, I was still very much determined to go. Hehe!

First, I am in love with Singapore. I will never tire of the city. Many would say it's strict and boring. Not for me. I love everything about it. Second, I have many friends in the Lion City and I have Manila friends who are doing the SCMS run. I realized that I already have several friends in SG when I started having a difficult time booking dinners and meetups. Haha! But I really, really had a good time seeing (almost) everyone. The fact that my Twitter buddies also flew to SG for the run was also a good motivator for me to just be happy with the run. We were all excited to do the run, and it turned out to be more than what we expected. Third, andun na ko, eh. Wala ng urungan. Wag ng maginarte. So deadma na kung ma-dead, but there is no way I won't be boarding the SG-bound flight of CebuPac on Dec. 3. Hahaha!

Other preparations were the usual - carbo loading two days before the run, energy gels for the race, my running getup, run playlist, and sunblock. Haha! I wasn't sure on whether I should bring Hanschen with me during the run. Having him with me meant slowing down because I would definitely stop to take photos. Not bringing him on the other hand might mean missing several good photo ops.

I chose not to bring Hanschen. There were many nice photo ops, but I don’t regret not having Hanschen with me.

The Race Day Route

I stayed with Twitter buddy/fellow half-marathoner Marl at his hotel the night before the run. It was Marl's first time in SG, and I sort of became his local guide. Hehe! Plus, I was too OC for the race details so I already studied how we'd get to the starting point.

We got up at 4AM. I had about 5 hours of sleep. It wasn't enough, but the excitement brought by the reality that I was going to run in a different country was more than enough for me to get up and get ready. Around 4:30AM, we met up with Migs outside the hotel. He was just staying at a nearby hotel. We then walked to the MRT station to catch the first train at 5:25.

I love how the SCMS organizers got the MRT to open earlier than the usual to transport the half-marathoners. I love how the departure and arrival time of the train at each station was indicated in the schedule. Haha! I was pretty excited when the train arrived at our station and saw that a lot of runners. You can tell who the Pinoys are because they are the ones holding a camera taking snapshots of everything. For a moment, I was sort of wishing that I brought Hanschen. Hehe! I quickly forgot about that when the train arrived at Outram Park and I was greeted by a huge volume of runners who were making their way to the red line to get to the Harbour Front station. Nothing could get you more psyched for the run. You could feel energy in the air. And when we arrived at the Harbour Front station, runners everywhere. We made our way to the starting line- Sentosa Bridge.

Our race started at 6:30. Compared to the Philippine races, this one had less fanfare. There was a DJ and there was music but it was different. A minute before the race, music was turned off and it was only the sound of a horn that

I have to say that the half-marathon route was the best!!! The first eight kilometers covered Sentosa and (drumroll please!) Universal Studios!!! I didn't get to go visit USS (no more tickets for that weekend, boo!) so I'm thankful that it was part of the race.

Things got a little more challenging when we exited Vivo City and made our way to expressway. The sun was up and if not for the few buildings along the expressroad which blocked the sun every so often, I would have fainted. Haha! It was just sooo humid! That's one thing (if not the only) I don't like about SG. Heck, even the marathon winner had the same comment. And weather has a huge impact on one's performance. I was taking more walking breaks, and I could feel dehydration. I didn't want to take too much of 100Plus drink too because I know it's bad for my uric acid level. LOL! I pushed myself again when we reached the 18KM mark. After the turn at Esplanade, I was happiest when I saw that there was just 1 more km to go. I slowed down a bit just to make sure I look proper when I arrive at Hahaha!

I called Kym who was taking photos of the event to tell him I was on my last 2KM. I didn't see him though when I approached the finish line. He didn't see me either. LOL! Marathon photos are available but it costs SG $40 for one photo!!! Haha!

After crossing the finish line, we were directed towards a queue where the medal was given. It's the most beautiful medal!!! I'm so proud.

I gave Kym a call to ask where he was and we met up for post-run photos. I am really, really, really grateful to Kym for being there for taking photos of the event! I met up with Marlon, too. Also met up with Edsel who finished the 21K, 42K finishers Jamie and Ian (JB was still running when I saw Jamie and Ian), and Sef who did the 10K.

After post-run photos, I headed home. The train ride was quite challenging not because it was packed but because I was just really tired. I already sat down on the floor of the train because I my legs were about to give in. Kym and I met up at Simei and we took the bus. We passed by the hawker food stall to buy some lunch. When we got home though, we were surprised to find that Jo Ann prepared a feast! Sinigang, steamed fish, hipon and chicken! It was the perfect meal after a grueling run.

However, there was another surprise for me when I woke up from my afternoon siesta. Haha!

The Post Run
Following the feast of Jo Ann, I went into the room to take a quick nap. As soon as my back touched the comfy bed, I was asleep. Haha! That’s how tired I was. I got up around 3PM when Jo Ann (or was it Rejoy) woke me up so we can head out and do some exploring. Haha! I was half-awake when I stepped out of the room. Rejoy was eating and when I saw a small cake, I asked, "O ano iyan?" I realized that it was afor me when when I saw the banner "Congrats Gelo Belo!" (Belo from Vicky Belo because allegedly, I lost much weight. Hehe!) They got me flowers, as well! I was really, really, really touched by the sweet gesture of my dear friends! It was just too sweeeet!!!

In the evening, it was part 2 of the post-SCMS celebration. It began with pre-drinks drinks with the Twitter gang. Edsel got a room at the Marina Bay Sands (Awesome hotel!!! The room, the view! Ugh! Super!!!) I invited Cyp and Jon to go to the pre-party party so I can introduce them to SG-based runners Edsel and Ian. By the time we left MBS, I had a good buzz (I think everyone did. Haha!) and I was ready for a night of dancing. From there, we headed to Zirca which apparently turns into a "happy" place on Sunday night. Had fun with the guys. We had so much fun, that we left the place past 4 in the morning, headed straight to the nearby Mcdonald's for breakfast before heading home!!! Hongsoyo lang.

If there is one word to describe the SCMS experience - EPIC!!!

I hope it becomes a tradition, and I could probably aspire for the Standard Chartered runs in Kuala Lumpur and the Hong Kong runs. Hehe!

It was truly a race like no other.

Rest of the photos are on my Facebook page. Hehe!

2 comments:

  1. it was nice to finally meet you, angelo!

    teker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. same here, john stan! :) nice of you to say hi.

    ingats din and congrats on the "move(ing) in." hehe!

    ReplyDelete