Saturday, January 21, 2012

Random thoughts on a pre-CNY Friday night...

While I was here in Singapore last year for Chinese New Year, it is only this year that I am becoming more familiar with the celebration.

So, apparently, the first day of the celebration is where the entire family gathers for a meal. That means everyone back home.

For Pg Boy, home is in one of the nice cities further north of Kuala Lumpur (I think).

He went back early last week, and won't be back till next week. Some friends have been asking why I didn't go.

Uhm, it wasn't really a big deal to me that I'm not there. I did wonder what it would be like to have a real CNY celebration with his family, but that's just me having my usual daydreams. Haha! But seriously, I knew it was a family thing, and I'm not in a position to invite myself or ask to be part of an intimate gathering. Apart from that, the family doesn't know and I can just imagine how the folks surprised the would be if Pg Boy showed up with a Filipino guy in tow. Hehe! There would be some explaining to do about the Filipino "friend."

When I said this to Rich, one of my really good friends here and one of the guys I usually approach for advice, he told me, "It's kind of sad that we have to settle for that, huh?"

He further said, "If it was a girlfriend, and the girlfriend was introduced as a 'friend,' that'll surely be an issue for the girl."

Rich wasn't talking about my situation. He was just giving a general statement, and I understood what he meant.

One of my good Singaporean friends, Melvin, was telling me that some of his guy friends would bring along their partner with them to the family dinner. The folks would be okay with it. I think it would be nice to have that, eh.

Going back to Richie's comment, it got me questioning a little. "Should we really just settle for that?" The UP activist in me has all these thoughts (haha!), but I know and understand the bigger picture. It's much more complicated than it really is.

Pg Boy and I are talking about a trip to Manila. He's never been, and I do want him to visit. I was teasing him that I will bring him with me to meet my folks and sibs. While I'm confident that my family knows, I haven't really made it official. Hehe.

I wonder what it would be like if I told them who Pg Boy really is in my life. Or should I just settle for introducing him as a 'friend?'

Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment