Monday, January 16, 2012







Sunday morning was spent volunteering at the National Museum of Singapore.

Several weeks ago, I was doing my usual browsing of the museum websites to check out if there's any new exhibits when I stumbled upon this ad looking gallery sitters for the Singapore History Gallery.

Having mounted several exhibits in Manila, manning exhibits was certainly not new to me. Haha!

I figured I could spend a few hours lending a pair of extra hands to the place that has allowed me to see Van Gogh, among several other awesome pieces.

My shift was 10AM - 2PM. I arrived at the NSM ten minutes before 10. After registration, I was directed to go to the Singapore History Gallery where I was met by a lovely and pleasant lady named Mas.

She gave me a brief orientation about the History Gallery, and what needed to be done. The main assignment was preparing the audio companions for the gallery, and welcoming and teaching visitors how to use the audio companion.

Sounds easy, eh? It is. But then there are times when there are several visitors arrive at the same time, so then you have to hurry up in the distribution and giving of instructions.

An hour later, I was pulled out from the History Gallery post and was asked to help top up the shelves around the museum with the information materials. (Probably because of my huge frame, they realized that I can do the walking and lifting of materials. Haha! It was fun though.)

I accompanied the Duty Officer of the Day Vivien in getting the materials from the storage areas and going around the different areas of the museum to top up the shelves with more information materials.

Initially, I thought the shift would be quite dull because I would just have to stand for four hours. I'm glad it turned out to be very busy with different kinds of work.

I signed up for another shift on 5 Feb. This time, it'll be the afternoon shift. I was told to be ready for it because it's an Open House day and they expect several people flocking to the museum.

As a token, I got a pair of complimentary tickets to all the galleries in the museum. Yey! Date at the museum soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment