Monday, January 9, 2012

Quickie lookback at 2011...

Yeah, I know it's been days since we started another year.

I've been meaning to write a review of some sort of how my 2011 went, but I haven't found the time to sit down and put my thoughts into words because the first week back at work was crazy.

It's only now on this quiet Saturday morning that I am able to sit down in front of a laptop and let my fingers dance on the keyboard.

The biggest thing that happened was bagging a job and making the move to Singapore. Boy, the plan was several years in the making. Friends Rejoy, Richie and JoAnn have been convincing me to move to Singapore but it was only in December of 2010 that I became really decided to try it out here.

Everything happened so fast. The first quarter of the 2011, I flew to Singapore three times - twice for the job interview, and the third one was for the move.

I am forever, forever grateful for everyone who helped make the Singapore dream a reality. I didn't do it all by myself. Without the support of a number of friends, it would have been much more challenging. So, yeah, I am just grateful.

About starting a new life here, I must say (almost) everything has rather been great. I've made new friends at work. I've made new friends outside of work. Then, there's Pg Boy. And then there are the friends who have been the inspiration to move here - Richie and Mon, JoAnn and Kym, Rej, Cyp and Jon, Jean, and definitely, my Twitter gang - MkSurf8, Tian3x and iandmac. These three guys have been my usual HOHOL buddies here and adjusting to the SG life was rather easy thanks to these guys.

Hmm, if I were to quickly name the best things about 2011, the following are off the top of my head:
- the Kylie Minogue concert - this was just awesome;
- discovering the "green" side of Singapore at Bukit Timah Nature Reserve, Sungei Buloh and the other parks - SG is not all about skyscrapers and high-rise HDB flats, it does have a green side which I really love;
- the Lion King musical - watched this myself and still enjoyed it very much. I've always dreamt of watching a musical in Broadway, and this was the next best thing;
- seeing Picasso, Manet, Monet, Renoir, Gauguin, and Van Gogh(!!!) pieces - no words. You have to be there to experience it;
- weekend trips to Batam and HCMC - oh, jeez! These have been epic trips. "Mister driver, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry, Mister driver!" Hahaha!;
- celebrating National Day, Christmas and of course, New Years's Eve;
the month-long birthday celebration (haha!) - I was really glad to have been able to do the tradition of holding my birthday at a kids' center;
- becoming a member of a dragonboat team - seriously, I never thought I would one day be on a boat with a paddle. Add to that being able to compete in the SG River Regatta. It never crossed my mind;
- meeting Pg Boy - completely unexpected. We met May of 2011, and neither one of us thought that we would months later be going out and making things official.
- having good friends from Pinas over - so glad that so many friends from Pinas came here for vacay - Nico, I-van, JB, Miguel, Bernice, Tey, Xzenia, Ella, Gino, Jon, Elapie, Sheena, Joi, Manny, Jamie, Ros. Really great;

There were, of course, challenges which put me to a test. I'm glad things still worked out..

Without a doubt, 2011 was a very, very big year for me.

During a small gathering with Pg Boy's friends, we had a quick recap of how each one's 2011 went. When it was my turn to talk, I just said I couldn't be more grateful for 2011. It was full of blessings, and despite the challenges I've encountered, I have no right to complain about it.

And if I'm going to be logical about it, then this year - 2012 - is definitely going to be better. It's good, better, best, right?!

Hope you had a really, really good year!

1 comment: