Thursday, June 18, 2009

The thing about being single for almost three years now...

Photobucket

The thing about being single for almost three years now...

is that you either slightly get used to it or you become comfortable with it. What's the difference? With the former, it's more like you don't like the situation but since that's the current status, you learn to get used to it. With the latter, you actually have no issues whatsoever about being on solo flight in life (at least, for now.)

I was telling fellow singles Whaxter and colleague from work Reena my thought that the reason why I'm not probably meeting anyone is because I've moved on from being used to the situation to being comfortable with the solo flight (at least, for now.)

Uhm, I have no issues watching movies on my own. When the waiter at a restaurant asks me how many will be dining with me, I can answer immediately, "Just one. Me. Thanks." At a recent shopping trip, I was perfectly fine deciding on my own whether I should go with the purchase or not.

Whaxter and Reena shared the same sentiments. That gave me some sense of relief. At least, I know I'm not alone on this boat. Hehe.

Whaxter and I acknowledged though that there are times when we do get lonely, and that's perfectly fine, I suppose. We tried to identify which situations make us want to go out and proactively take measures to change our Facebook statuses. Hehehe!

Family gatherings. When you have siblings that would eventually get married and have kids, and at the family gathering you're just on your own, hmm, that could set the "something's missing" button on.

Sick days. Early this year, I wrote about how I brought myself to the ER of Makati Med on my own. The people whom I thought could accompany still had a hangover from the festivities, so I ended up getting myself into a cab and bringing myself to the ER of MMC. When I told the guard that I was the patient, I think he was surprised because from my huge built, he probably assumed I was as healthy as a horse. Hehe!

Anyway, I remember also this one time when I was really ill with fever. It was late in the evening, and I was going to go out to buy myself meds. What I got from the ex was some scolding and seeing him heading out of the door to buy the meds. That was sweet, I got to admit. Hehe!

Really bad days. There are really days when you feel like the whole world is going against you, and when that happens you want this one person to tell you that everything is going to be just fine. Of course, hearing the words "I love you" is a major, major plus, as well. Hehe!

Travel. For the longest time, I've been postponing the trip to Cambodge because I couldn't find any person who was willing to go with me. Or I would find one but our scheds wouldn't meet.

(But the good news is the Cambodge trip is going to happen this year!!!) Thank heavens for Wesley who is on a travel mode this year.)

But what about Europe, Macchu Pichu, or Borobodur?! I have yet to find a travel buddy for those. And what about Paris? Is it that easy to find someone who will be just as excited over Avenue Montaigne? Or what about New York? When Rent goes onstage again, who will I drag to Broadway? Hehe!

Other than these instances,it seems that I (and I'd like to believe most of my single friends) feel just fine. And besides, when the need for a company does arise, I have no one to turn to but fellow single friends, as well.

How many times have I been the plus one to a friend? Hehe! I've attended two weddings of people I don't know because gal pals asked me to be their man accessory. I've attended a celebratory dinner for a person I don't even know, because someone needs a rescue. Hehehe! Not that I'm complaining. I actually enjoy it. Hehehe!

Hmm, I wonder if this a sign of some kind of pride?! Because really I'm sure even the coldest person in the entire universe would still appreciate a warm hand to hold or a comforting hug from another person. Not just any other person, someone you actually have genuine romantic feelings for.

And every once in a while, it feels super good to have that kilig feeling, right?

These days, though, where does one really find a date? But that's a whole other topic, I suppose.

Oh well, random thoughts on a Thursday morning.

7 comments:

  1. It's nice being single... you get to do a lot of things and be as productive as you can. It ain't that bad... but I must agree that it gets tiring at a certain point.

    Hang in there buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, there.

    I completely agree with you. =)

    So far, I'm generally happy naman. The fellow single girl friends and one or two PLU friends are there for hanging out. And then there's the gym, a little running which have made me cut down on my 12-14 hour working days.

    May days lang talaga na one can't help but wonder, "Wouldn't it be nice..." Hehehe!

    And being cheesy by nature doesn't help at all. Haha!

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a sense of empowerment when you make decisions and go places all by yourself.

    Sure there are those "moments" when you feel a little bit weird just because you're alone

    Like whenever you feel the urge to be hugged or cuddled

    But like what the song says: "You can't hurry love, Oh, you just have to wait."

    and coming from the mushiest/cheesiest person on the face of the earth-- when it does come, I know we'll all scream:

    "Awwww... so worth it!"

    Haha! Cheers!

    Btw, been reading your blog for the a while now :) *Peace*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heya, you're correct in saying that there is empowerment "when you make decisions and go places all by yourself."

    Wait is what I've been doing for the past three years. Haha! =)

    My perspective right now is "I'm good as is, and if life throws a nice surprise, then I'll welcome it."

    Only way to go, I suppose.

    Hey, thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts. Much appreciated.

    I visit your blog, too. Thanks for that post on Eiga-sai. Looking forward to see it, too.

    It's just a bummer that they're not going to show Okuribito.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) no prob UP boy!

    Ohhh... you're going to watch it shang or in UP? keep me updated :) we might bump into each other by accident :p lol

    thanks for adding me up in your blog roll :) added u up as well!

    *cheers*

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha! =) i'll most probably watch it at shang. =)

    i'm looking for okuribito (departures). baka naman you know where i can find.

    cheers.

    0=)

    ReplyDelete
  7. me too! I'll watch at shang :)

    try checking out http://mysoju.com

    I usually watch Asian films from that site :)

    ReplyDelete