Monday, June 15, 2009

Fatherhood becomes me... Hahaha

I wonder who's having it more difficult - a woman looking for a sperm donor or a man looking for an egg donor.

In past entries, I have mentioned that I dream of becoming a father (but not a husband... well, husband in a traditional context, at least). I didn't really think I would one day think about fatherhood, but the thought has been at the back of my mind for two, maybe three years now.

Uhm, I'm not thinking of doing it any time soon though. Man, just hearing how much pre-school costs these days is enough to make me postpone the plan... hehe! But when the time that I feel like I'm ready to raise a child does come, I wonder where I'm going to find a healthy egg for one of my (hopefully) healthy swimmers.

We hear about sperm banks and sperm donors. I wonder if there is such a thing as an egg bank? I'm sure that there are egg donors, because I came across some articles on it. But would I really want the egg of a complete stranger? Or should one already be content from knowing that the egg donor is a healthy, smart, pretty individual?

And how exactly does that work?

A woman who wants to bear a child can have an agreement with the man that he should get lost after he gives his end of the bargain.

But for a man who wants to have a child, I have a feeling it's going to be more complicated. How would the arrangement with the woman be? Would he just give a cup of his reproductive produce to the fertile woman and then wait for her with the healthy baby after nine months? Should he be present during the pregnancy months, just to make sure that the baby is well? What if some kind of attraction arises between the two? What if the woman decides she wants to be part of the kid's life?

Yaiks! I shudder at the thought of being forced to live with someone just because they brought a child into the world together.

Or maybe, just maybe, I would actually turn out to be an extremely lucky guy, and find someone who's not only willing to raise a child, but already has a child. Hehehe!

Oh well, we'll see. We'll see. With the way things are going, it looks like my two younger brothers have the bigger chance of becoming a father. Hehe!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting entry...

    I remember one possie female friend thinking of wanting to get pregnant but couldn't because of her HIV status...

    You're lucky you still have the option to bear a child... some people don't have that privilege anymore.

    But thinking about all the responsibilities and practical decisions... haaaay.

    But I bet it's worth having a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya. I wouldn't actually know if I'm lucky until the swimmers get tested to see if they're health. Baka the years and years of alcohol intake, eating all sorts of sweets and hi-fat/hi-salt food, among others, will finally have its revenge. Hehe! =)

    And yeah, just thinking about the practical aspect of parenting is enough to make one think about it a million times.

    But still, what I wouldn't give to be a Dad one day. Hehe!

    Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bumped into your blog and might i add, i too had the same thoughts years and years ago, until i took care of my nephews and nieces when they were babies. my desire to become a father died when the practical and mundane difficulties of balancing work with changing diapers became a reality. when time came my brother and his wife came back to take them, a huge weight was lifted. but i do miss and cherish those diaper times.

    i am soo happy to be single.

    ReplyDelete