Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter...



Next to Christmas, I think Easter is the other major feast that appears to be a big deal among Catholics (and possibly, all Christians?).

Back during my altar boy days, I remember that Holy Week was one of the busiest days for us altar boys. The Mass celebrations during the triduum leading to Easter Sunday were a big deal among us, and almost everyone would like to be able to serve in the special Masses.

There is reason to celebrate during Easter, I suppose. In Christmas, we celebrate the birth of Christ. In Easter, we celebrate his victory over death. If it's possible to not relate Easter to religion, I guess I would say that Easter is festive because it seems like a period for renewal and rebirth.

A chance to start again. A chance to be grateful for the blessings.

I went to the Church of St Mary of the Angels in Bukit Batok to attend the Easter Sunday Mass. That church is a fave. Aside from the nice interiors, there is one priest whose Mass celebrations I enjoy very much. He gives very lively homilies, and he relates the readings to daily life whic makes it easier for everyone to understand and appreciate.

Since I came all the way from the East, I intended to attend the noon Mass. Initially, I thought the church wouldn't be packed because most people would already have gone to Mass and would then be eating lunch. I was wrong.

Perhaps because it was Easter Sunday, the church was packed. Really packed.

I'm not a huge fan of crowds. I get claustrophobic. And I like having my personal space. But in this instance, I was actually glad to see that the church was full. JC and our Lady must be very, very, very happy.

Happy Easter! :)

1 comment:

  1. I visited this church the first time last Good Friday. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete