Friday, March 22, 2013

Ramen place at Tanjong Pagar...



Had dinner last night with MkSurf8 at a fairly new ramen shop at Tanjong Pagar area.

To be specific, it's at the Orchid Hotel. There are two Japanese places just outside the hotel. First is Keisuke Tonkotsu King, which has a very loooong queue. The other one is Menya Sanji.

I was intrigued by the food at Keisuke because of the queue. It's definitely a good sign. However, I think I will try it on another day and I will definitely be there vearly. Hehe!

Anyway, a few steps away from Keisuke is Menya Sanji. It's a very tiny shop. There was also a queue but it was definitely shorter than the one at Keisuke. I've never been to Japan. However, Menya Sanji looks like the shop of the guy in the documentary Jiro dreams of Sushi. The place can seat less than 20 people I think.

From what I read, the ramen served by the shop is called Kagoshima ramen aka tonkotsu style ramen. I tried the original Sanji Ramen with roasted pork topping and I liked it. The pork was a bit dry, but it was still okay. I'm glad that it didn't have any fat at all. Hehe.

The service is also good and fast. For a small shop, they have about 5 or 6 people behind the counter. One guy who knows how to smile (!!!) checks the queue and takes people's orders. Another person takes care of clearing tables. The rest are behind the counter preparing your happy bowl of ramen.

Itadakimasu.

Menya Sanji
Orchid Hotel #01-14 1 Tras Link
11:30pm – 3:00pm, 5:30pm – 11:00pm Daily

3 comments:

  1. The Keisuke is one of my fave ramen places here!! :D I also tried Sanji after seeing a long queue in Keisuke, not bad at all. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanna try Keisuke to see what all the fuss is about. Haha! :) Yeah, Sanji's not bad at all. :D

      Delete
  2. Sanji pala name ng resto. hahaha

    ReplyDelete