Friday, March 1, 2013

To Kathmandu and back... Work Edition



The trip to Kathmandu, Nepal, without question, will be one of the most unforgettable travel experiences this year. 80% work. 20% holiday. 100% memorable.

Together with four colleagues, we boarded a Silk Air flight at Changi Airport on 20 Feb for a four-hour flight that would take us to the "top of the world." In Kathmandu, we spent a few days with the team of Wiley partner Mitrataa Foundation holding workshops/activities for the women and teenage girls that Wiley and Mitrataa have been enabling these past few years through various programs.

I use the term "enabling" instead of "helping." That was because after spending a few days with the Mitrataa team, the women and the teenage girls, my impression was that they did not really need "help." The women and teenage girls are already helping themselves. They just needed a little more support in order for them to move a step forward in achieving their dreams/goals. That's where Mitrataa and Wiley come in.

On 21 Feb, we met with the women's group at the  Wiley Women’s Dream Centre. My colleague Cath led the day's activities. In addition to the session on giving presentations/attending job interviews, we heard of amazing stories from the women. One was grateful for learning how to read and write because she can now fill out forms, claim remittances, go to wherever by herself. Two other women went back to school to continue learning. One of them is in the same class as her granddaughter and she is proud of this. Even with the hardships that these women have undergone (and continue to undergo?), it is hard not to be amazed by their resilience, their capacity to still find joy every day, and their passion to learn.

In the afternoon, we headed to the Bal Mandir Children's Home for a learning session with the Mitrataa volunteers and facilitators. Bal Mandir is located at a former palace. Too bad the structure has not been preserved very well. I can almost imagine what it must have been like back in its glory days.

We spent the afternoon working with the volunteers/facilitators thinking of possible creative ways to provide tuition to the children assigned to them. Games were played. Suggestions were given. Hopefully, the tips/suggestions would be useful.

The following day, 22 Feb, was a session with a batch of teenage girls under the Wiley Dream Centre for girls. Together with the Mitrataa facilitators, my colleagues and I were welcomed by more than a dozen bright-eyed, bubbly teenage girls at the venue.

I was lead facilitator for the day's activities. Because I have not done group facilitation in such a long time, I was very nervous on our way to the activity center. However, as soon as I took my place and started speaking, everything I learned about group facilitating from my UP volunteer days just came back. The people at Pahinungod, my university volunteer organization, were correct. Once a Pahinungod, Always a Pahinungod.

Similar to the session with the women, we needed a translator throughout. It made the session quite an experience.

As our session drew to a close, we gave the students presents - bookmarks and accessories handmade by Wiley colleagues. To our surprise, the students also gave us presents. I received handmade cards, drawings, paper flowers, real flowers. By the time we reached the hotel again, I was dead tired. I have forgotten how draining being a facilitator could be. But I must also say I was quickly reminded that doing such  kind of work is an awesome experience. Hearing "Thank You" from the girls, receiving simple presents made with appreciation, knowing that they learned something were more than enough to make me feel that I got tired for nothing.

Saturday was the last day for our program. This session was the biggest group, with about fifty over Wiley teenage girls in attendance. Thankfully, there were several Mitrataa facilitators/volunteers present to co-facilitate with us - Nimu, Gunga, Bipana, Anita, Kamal, Anuz. I have always had high regard for volunteers. Remember that line in the movie Pearl Harbor, "There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"? I seriouly believe there is truth to it. Without people willing to share their time and talent, it will be more challenging to accomplish things.

24 February, we flew back to Singapore carrying with us great memories and experiences. I am really grateful to have been chosen to be part of the Wiley team to visit Kathmandu.

For a country with temperature that drop to 1c (and on some nights, even lower), we definitely felt warm with the smiles, the hugs, the countless "Namaste" from the people we met and got to interact with for a few days.

The Nepali language is a difficult language to learn. On one session, I asked some of the teenage girls to teach me simple phrases. It was like a tongue twister for me. Haha! But I did learn three important words - Namaste/Namaskar (which was the traditional greeting); Mitrataa - friendship; and Dhanyabaad (the spelling is prolly not correct but it sounds like that) which means Thank You.

Dhanyabaad, Kathmandu. :)

1 comment: