Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Docent training begins...

Last Saturday was the first session for the Museum Guide/Docent Training Course at the National Museum of Singapore.

A day before the course, the organizers emailed readings - yes, readings - to all docent trainees I suppose.

On the way home last Friday and over breakkie last Saturday, I was reading on the pre-colonial history of Singapore.

It's very interesting. When I think about Singapore, what usually comes to mind are the skyscrapers, great shopping, chicken rice. It was good learning about the time before the island was occupied by the British in 1819.

The first session of the course was both fun and intense. The senior guides gave a lively and enjoyable talk on guiding skills for museum volunteers.

Afterwards, we were given a lecture on the Temasek history. Singapore was once known as Temasek. In Malay, it means sea town. That afternoon, I met Wang Dayuan, Sang Nila Utama, Raja Culan, Iskandar Shah, among others.

Following this was our first gallery walkthrough. I've been to the History Gallery a couple of times, but this is the first time that the artefacts and relics are having more meaning to me.

The session ended with an assignment. (It really does feel like going back to school!) I had to prepare a talk about a particular topic. Come the third session, I will be doing my presentation. Exciting and it's also making me nervous. Hehe! :D I'm really impressed with how organized the training course is. It was also great seeing how passionate the senior guides are in what they do.

We were given a schedule of the entire training schedule that will run until end of May. The senior guides are right. Our Saturdays will never be the same again. Hehe!

Looking forward to the next sessions.

1 comment: