Friday, April 19, 2013

About my landlord and his mom...



I dun remember if I've written about it before, but I have the best landlord in the entire city-state. Hehe!

Last night was one of those very rare occasions when we saw each other at home. As hard as it may be to believe, I hardly see my landlord. Most of the time, by the time I get home he would already be in his room or vice-versa. My other housemate, who occupies the other room, in our three-room flat is the one I see the least. Maybe because he travels a lot for work. Hehe.

After I threw my stuff into the washing machine, I headed back to my room to do other stuff. A few minutes later, there was a knock on my door. It was my landlord and he gave me a facial product, which he got from a friend's overseas trip. I may have mentioned that this is not the first time I've received random presents from landlord. Hehe! He would always bring me something when he goes on trips overseas. I would do the same thing though. I would always but presents for him and Auntie whenever I go overseas.

I thanked him for the present and went back to watching my series. A short while, and then I got a WhatsApp message from my landlord saying the things above. Can't believe it's been almost two years. It feels longer than that sometimes. And yeah, I've become sooo comfortable with my room and my home.

When I was still looking for a place to stay in, one advice given to me was to choose carefully. The main criteria - the place should be something you look forward to going back to after a long day. I can say that about my current place.

Even if I have the option to move somewhere closer to the city or find a roommate to cut down on rent costs, I've become so used to my place in the heartlands. Hehe. It's become my home away from home, so to speak.

I told the last sentence to my landlord. I told him that I feel lucky to have found a home away from home. I told him that I am grateful for his kindness and Auntie's kindness. (Thus, the second reply above.)

Ironically, the one I see the most is someone who doesn't live with us - my Mom's landlord aka Auntie. Seriously, I see her more than I see my two other housemates.

Auntie is a petite, elderly woman who has so much energy. I say this because she doesn't run out of things to do... ever.

When I reach home, Auntie would already be there either cleaning the house, folding laundry, talking on the phone, or praying fervently in front of the family altar.

Too bad we have a language barrier. Otherwise, I'm sure we'd always have major chikahan. Hehe. Our "communication" would mostly be sign language punctuated with simple English and the few Chinese phrases I know. Haha!

Auntie would always, always, always offer me Magnum ice cream bars whenever she'd see me at the kitchen or at the laundry area. Hehe! I would happily say yes and thank her. Lately, I've been trying to decline because I fear that I am putting on weight again. Hehe! So the last time she offered, I said, "Bu yao, Auntie." (I dun want, Auntie.) She then smiled and pointed to her tummy and said, "Okay, too sweet. Laki!" And we both just laughed.

Aww, I really feel blessed to have found this home. Who knows how long I'll be staying with them given the current situation about foreign workers?

But nevertheless, if and when the time comes that I do have to leave the country, I will be bringing with me good memories of my home away from home...

1 comment: