Saturday, April 27, 2013

Two sides of Orchard...






Last night's Fridate was all about queuing and trying a new food place again. Hehe!

After work, I headed to Lucky Plaza for my monthly date with the staff of one of the remittance centers. Hehe! The exchange rate was 32.90 to SGD1. I dunno how this whole forex things work, but I was quite happy to see the rate like this. It's been awhile. When I moved to SG two years ago, there was even a time that the forex reahed 34.80 to SGD1. Happy days, happy days. Hehe!

From LP, I headed to Tangs to wait for PG Boy. The newly renovated Tangs is really looking great, I must say. Also, I think they brought in new brands. I guess they had to do it - both renov and bringing in new brands - to keep up with the competition. Geez, even LP underwent a renov and it now it looks waaay better. Good job.

Once PG Boy arrived, the first thing we talked about was always the first thing we would talk about when we meet up. "Where to eat, ah?" Hehe!

Of course, I already had a suggestion in mind. Hehe! Must always be prepared, you know. Anyway, I suggested to him that we try the Thai food place Richie and Coly have been raving about at Orchard Tower. Also, I told him we should explore the other side of Orchard since we usually always stick around the area between Wheelock and 313 Somerset.

So we headed to Orchard Towers to look for the Thai food place. It was my first time there, and it kinda brought back memories of Mabini/Harrison decades ago... except that all the drinking establishments were inside a building. Haha!

PG Boy and I found the place - Jane Thai Food - at the fourth level. It was right next to a girly bar (?) called Crazy Horse. The Thai place seems quite popular because after we got a table, people started arriving. We ordered seafood fried rice, pad thai, kangkong with sambal paste and chicken pandan. It was quite okay. For the four dishes, we paid about $30.

After dinner, I told PG Boy we should probably head back to the better half of Orchard. Hehe! So we started walking towards Ion to look for a dessert place.

We ended up queuing at Laduree at Ngee Ann. The first thing I saw when we entered Ngee Ann was a long queue at Chanel. Crazy! PG Boy teased saying that there was probably a 1-for-1 ongoing. Hehe! We saw the Laduree counter with a short queue, so I took a place... until this guy told us the end of the queue is further back, right next to Hugo Boss. Wahlau, eh! Haha!

PG Boy asked if we were seriously going to queue. I told him, "Of course. We're going Singaporean tonight." Hehe! If you didn't know, there's this notion that Singaporeans like to queue. And if there's a queue, then it must be worth it.

So PG Boy and I got in line and decided what to order. I got the salted caramel. He got the rose petal. Each piece is $3.80!!! Seriously, that could get you 2 plates of chicken already at your neighbourhood hawker centre. It's crazy. Still, we had to try it at least once. The macarons were good, I must say. They can get away with what they're charging for each piece. Haha! But it's not something I would be craving for. I dunno. I think I can get a lot of other better sweet things for the same price.

From Laduree, we headed to Kinokuniya. I was thinking of messaging Tipz to check if he was still in the area. However, it was already close to 9PM and I just assumed he would already have left.

PG Boy and I capped our Fridate with coffee at Coffee Club. We then walked to the bus stop opposite Meritus Mandarin to wait for our bus.

Nice Fridate night. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment