Sunday, June 21, 2015

A "Don't you forget this" moment at the museum...



I like this scene from Dead Poets Society, one of my favourite movies of all time.

This afternoon, I had my own "Don't you forget this" moment. Nope, no mentor said it to me. I said it to myself... right after I gave a 330PM guided tour.

The guided tour this afternoon has got to be one of my best and one of my most memorable tours.

To be honest, I wasn't feeling very well. I knew something was up with my throat because my voice sounds different today. In addition to that, I was a bit short on breath when I was doing Pump. I think some bug is going around again because our Pump instructor was not his usual self.

Going back to the tour, I started with just a little over ten people - Singaporeans, Hong Kongers, British, Australians, one Korean, one Japanese, one Brazilian.

By the time we reached the end of the tour, the group had already swelled to close to thirty people. Along the way, people joined the tour, some people also left the tour.

At the start of the tour, I also told my guests that the whole activity would be at least an hour. Well, guess what?! It took me close to two hours! I think I spoke too much at certain sections. Also, today I covered some sections which I rarely cover. I was thankful I did that because the president of the Museum Volunteers group followed the tour when I was already at the last part.

Usually, I would gauge how the tour went based on the applause and the feedback. Today, I got a tremendous applause and a lot of the guests shook my hand and thanked me for the tour. The Korean guy asked for a photo with me. Hehe! And then, the president of our volunteer group approached me with two of the guests and the latter told me how they enjoyed the tour. Among my guests also was an elderly couple from Australia. As I was exiting the gallery, the wife walked up to me to thank me. She also said that she has a grandson who's also named Angelo and that she hopes her grandson will grow up to be just as lovely. The best thing she said was that her husband told her that he enjoyed the tour very much. The pair has been traveling around Europe and Asia for the past three months. The husband has a hearing problem and he told his wife that he did not have any problem with my tour and that he enjoyed it.

Hearing all these feedback, my heart was just swelling with joy. It was a good reminder why I love museums, why I love volunteering, and why I must always, always keep on studying and preparing well for my guided tours.

Thank you, Lordy, for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment