Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Morning with Van Gogh, Gauguin, and other Tokyoites...



Finally, I got to visit the Van Gogh and Gauguin exhibit at the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum.

A friend and I agreed to meet before the museum's opening time hoping that most of Tokyo would still be asleep since today is a holiday.

It was a good idea! When we reached the museum, the ticket queue was short and the queue to get in to the gallery was also short. There were 62 art pieces on display. I spent about an hour and a half walking around the galleries. It was a bit crowded but it wasn't as crowded as the Monet exhibit I visited in the same museum last year.

I still remember the first time I saw a Van Gogh (and a Monet and the works of other Impressionists). The National Museum of Singapore had a collaboration with the Musee D'Orsay and a few Van Gogh pieces were brought in. Be still my heart. I never imagine I would ever see a Van Gogh in my life. Like I usually say, I'm a guy with simple dreams. Lol!

Van Gogh, Gauguin and the other artists during their time prolly didn't have any idea that a hundred years later or so, they would become some of the world's most celebrated artists. So, today was another experience to be grateful for.

By the time we exited from the gallery, there was already a long queue of people waiting to get in. Good thing Singapore taught me to be kiasu (sometimes). Haha!

There are still a few museums on my bucket list - The Louvre, Musee D'Orsay, British Museum, the Met, MoMa, The Cloisters (Met), Frick Museum. Oh wait, those aren't a few. Those are a lot! Gotta work work work to be able to fly fly fly! Haha!

4 comments:

  1. How I wished I could see all Van Gogh's paintings. I had to study so much Art History in US college. You should add into your bucket list - Metropolitan Museum of New York City. It took me 2 days to finish touring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bakit walang Tate Modern? Isama mo na rin National Portrait Gallery of London and MCA sa Sydney haha. a guy with simple dreams?! Charotera! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah!!! Tate, and NPG and MCA! Haha! :D Wag kang nega! :P Miss you, friend!

      Delete