Monday, October 13, 2008

Walang Iwanan sa Gawad Kalinga...



The entire Saturday was spent at the Fort. It was the annual Gawad Kalinga 1World Expo. We were participating in the huge event, and since it was one of the programs I support, I had to be there.

Actually, I was at the Fort the night before setting up our small area. I was supposed to have dinner with Sam and Grace, but I should have known better. What I thought would finish at 6PM ended at 12 midnight. Hehehe!

This is the second time I've attended a GK Expo and I must say that once again, I'm blown away by how fantastic the event turned out to be. Attendance was really good, and the activities prepared for the GK partners, volunteers, beneficiaries, supporters were all awesome.

The concert in the evening was probably my favorite. Rivermaya, Spongecola, 6Cyclemind were some of the bands that made the crowd go wild. The event concluded with a mini-Fellowship and the fireworks, the confetti and the sparklers onstage undoubtedly made the crowd leave with tremendously high spirits.

I watched the concert from our booth. I was too tired, after spending the entire day under the scorching heat of the sun walking around and checking out the activities, I was dead beat already in the evening. Hehe!

It was also great seeing old and new people. I bumped into Paolo, who worked before with GK and was our counterpart. Then, I saw former colleague Dana, who I think didn't recognize me because she gave me an awkward smile when I waved at her. And then I saw Emily, Xochi's college barkada. Of course, her first sentence was, "How are you?" which means more than just "How are you?" Hehehe!

I have mixed feelings for GK (don't ask), but I do strongly support the organization and its mission. I've enjoyed every house build I joined. And I really had a great time and several learnings from the Bayani Challenge last April in Bukidnon. So just like the Expo's theme this year "Walang Iwanan," I shall continue supporting the group in my own little way.

In fact, can't wait for the Bayani Challenge in Sulu next week. That's something to look forward to.

Congrats to GK! Mabuhay ang mga bayani!

No comments:

Post a Comment