Thursday, January 21, 2010

One really good pasalubong...

Photobucket

Photobucket

A cousin recently went on a trip to Europe, and above is her pasalubong for me. A rosary from the Vatican.

It's beautiful and definitely a favorite pasalubong. The last time I had a rosary this pretty was back in college, junior year. When I was still attending formation activities at the center, I was able to get a very beautiful rosary. The beads were the color of copper, the cross was a beautiful silver, and in the middle was an image of the Holy Mother.

Here's a somewhat secret. I always, always carry a rosary in my pocket. The other rosary photo above dates back from my childhood days. We're talking about primary school years here. Yup, it's that old and therefore, has some sentimental value. I think it was my Mom who gave it to me.

It was also my Mom who planted the seeds of rosary devotion in me. As a kid, I was very sickly. I would always go to the hospital because I would have trouble breathing. When I was in Grade 2, I had to be confined at the Heart Center because the doctors wanted to rule out rheumatic heart. And during these times, I can vividly recall my Mom teaching me how to pray the rosary late in the evening. She would even write a prayer on small pieces of paper and offer it to the altar where the image of the Holy Mother was.

Since then, I have been dedicated to the rosary. In elementary school, I learned all 15 mysteries because we had a Christian Living class. During September 8, we would also have a Living Rosary. And even when I attended a non-Catholic high school, I was able to keep the devotion because I was a very active altar boy in our parish. In college, I even got to memorize the Litany of the Holy Mother because we prayed the rosary at the center every day. Seriously. … Mirror of Justice, Tower of Ivory, Tower of David…" Those years really cultivated the devotion to the rosary.

Right now, I have to admit that I haven't been as prayerful. I have it in my pocket and I do take out every so often to pray - during long land trips, when I can't sleep in the evening, when I just need the smallest amount of assurance. I know I haven't been reciting the rosary as often as I wanted to, but I do believe in it.

The gift couldn't have come at a better time. My Tita, the mom of my cousin, is in the hospital right now and is battling something. I'm not sure yet what it is. My Mom would give me updates, but she said the doctors still need to confirm whether it really is what they think it is.

At a time like this, what can you really do but pray, right? And who else better to be your sidekick than the Blessed Mother when you approach the Big Boss?

So, thank you, cousin for the nice, nice gift. It's definitely one that is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment