Saturday, September 25, 2010

How to raise 3000 euros for the "dream..."

I may have already found what it is that I wanted to do when I finally give up my corporate life.

Teach yoga.

Not sure if it's because I'm still on a high from attending the Global Mala Project, but I am secretly (and wishfully) contemplating about studying yoga full-time and becoming a teacher.

I come from a family of teachers. My Lola Chimang was a teacher all her life. Tita Rosie taught here before moving to the US to become a teacher. Cousin Lydia followed the footsteps of her mom and is also a teacher. Lolo Po is a respected faculty at a revered educational institution in Canada. TIta Cecil was the go-to person on labor and industrial relations.

So when the desire to teach at the University came, I wasn't surprised. I taught for a semester at my own University but had to give it up due to some stupid policies. I've always been drawn to the academe. Many of my happy years were the times spent in Faura and later on in Plaridel Hall.

When I met a grade school teacher and went out with him a couple of times, it was awesome. Unfortunately, the guy turned out to be a complete … okay, let's not finish this sentence. Hehe! I do respect him for being a teacher. That's one of the things that I really liked about him.

Anyway, so yes, I know that I'd like to teach. I'm open to the University, but after having attended the GMP and the what? a hundred and yoga classes at the gym, I am reaching a point that I ask myself, "Why not?"

One time (and until now), I keep bugging my work colleague Judee who's also into yoga that we should just quit and open a yoga studio in Cagayan de Oro.

Everything's good with the corporate life, but there are very few moments when I look for a reason to continue slaving away. My youngest brother is on his last semester in college. I'm pretty sure that my responsibilities to him will no longer be that huge when he starts working. My younger brother lives his own life. He has a job and has a very nice girl. I neither have a kid nor a partner to work extra hard for (yuck, pinasok talaga ito! LOL!), and if I could just save enough and free myself from credit card bills (ugh!), I think I would be more than happy to give up the corporate world to do what I really want to do.

After studying and getting certified, I could come back and teach outside of Manila. My heart belongs to the countryside. That's what I always say. This may be my ticket to a life outside of Manila and start one in Iloilo. Wouldn't it be great to be a traveling yoga instructor? Hold weekly classes in Iloilo, Cebu and Bacolod?

That would be awesome.

I asked a yoga teacher who was at the GMP where yoga instructor classes are held. He told me that Foundation classes are usually 200 hours. He told me that there will be one in Boracay this October.

He also told me that the fee is about P200,000.

What the?! For a moment, I lost my center and fell forward. Kidding.

India would definitely be ultra expensive then. I checked out a school in Thailand, and the Foundation course costs 3000++ euros. Haven't really checked out if there are scholarships, but I doubt if there are.

Man, it just sucks when the only thing keeping you away from your dream is money, huh.

How to go around this roadblock? What jobs to take to raise the amount?

No comments:

Post a Comment