Monday, September 6, 2010

Independent is fantab...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

One more thing I liked about Hong Kong is the presence of several independent designers/ clothing stores.

Hmm, I don't really know if that's the correct term. What do you call designers/clothing stores that aren't mainstream? I should be ashamed. For someone who's fascinated with labels and who gets excited over what would seem like mundane things (e.g. upcoming H&M X LANVIN (!!!) collaboration), I am at a loss with the correct term/label to use for this. Haha!

If there's a person I should credit for getting me interested in non-mainstream labels, it's my ICON colleague/running buddy I-vanchy.

It was him who got me fascinated with indie designers. Nom de Guerre, Goods of Desire. I’d include Comme des Garcons, Martin Margiela and Junya Watanabe, but they’re really not indie designers. They are “independent” designers though, always different from the rest of the pack.

So on the recent trip to HK, I was really glad to see that there seems to be a healthy and thriving local fashion scene. It helped that we stayed at the Fashion Walk area in Causeway Bay.

You can’t imagine how ecstatic I was when I saw that right outside the building where our hostel is located is Tsumori Chisato. A few steps away from it is Y-3. Right at the corner of the street was Vivienne Westwood. At the other corner is A.P.C. Earth Music + Ecology. Right next to it is HK-based label 5CM.

Of course, the mainstream big shots re also in the area - Marc by Marc Jacobs, Max Mara, DKNY, Bally, Calvin Klein.

On our last day, we did some last minute shopping and visited some indie shops. I forgot the name of the building, but at the mezzanine is where several fantab stores are.

Indu Homme and Chapter 7even had I-van’s name written all over it. Haha! Near the Ikea at Parklane Hotel is Initial. I thought I had a photo of Initial, but I don't. Boo.

Locally, I have to admit that I'm not that familiar with independent designers. I’m guessing that The Ramp at Crossings carry a lot of their pieces though.

One of my non-mainstream favorites is Dean & Trent. I am really amazed at how the brand has been thriving for the past couple of years, even without the use of ATL marketing strategies. I got to talk to the owner for a couple of minutes weeks ago, and I’m hoping that… secret for now. Hehe!

Who’s your fave independent designer?

No comments:

Post a Comment