Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Surprise birthday lunch for Melvin...










The other highlight of Saturday was the surprise birthday lunch for nature-tripping buddy Melvin.

I dunno if he was really surprised (LOL!), but I'm glad we had a celebration for him. Plus, I was able to try a new place - Jerry's BB@ & Grill - in the far, far away place that is Sengkang. Hehe!

After the morning walk, we drove to Sengkang to have lunch. We were quite early for the restau, so we decided to just check the area first. That's when Desmond and I agreed on how we'll do the surprise thing. Hehe!

I told Melvin that Pg Boy and I won't be joining them for lunch because I had other plans. We said goodbye and Pg Boy and I headed the other way.

We quickly rushed to Jane's Cake Station to get the birthday cake. It's my first time to buy a cake from this place, and I must say it's goooood. The store sells just two kinds, I think - chocolate cake and durian cake.

From Jane's Cake Station, Pg Boy and I walked further away from Jerry's. We waited a bit until Desmond messaged that he and Melvin were back in the restau.

Pg Boy and I walked back to the restau. We borrowed a lighter from an uncle to light the candles, and then we started singing Happy Birthday as we entered the restau.

The good thing about that day was that there weren't too many people yet, so it wasn't too humiliating to sing. Also, Jerry's seemslike a small, private restaurant where birthday lunches (dinners) are usually held so what we did was a regular thing for them.

I think Melvin was really happy to see that he had a cake, and that he got to blow the candles.

We enjoyed a hearty lunch of salad, chicken wings, roasted chicken, baby back ribs and pulled pork. It was quite a good lunch, which was capped with slices of the rich, chocolate cake.

As I've mentioned in previous blog entries, Melvin is a Singaporean friend who is also my nature-hiking buddy. We met through rowing team mate Francis. Before Francis left for London, I went with him on a hike to Bukit Timah Nature Reserve. Melvin joined us.

That was the start of it.

Since then, Melvin and I have been going on several hikes and walks to explore the "green" side of Singapore. Really glad to have met the guy because I know more of the country that has adopted me thanks to him.

Happy birthday, Melvin!

Jane's Cake Station
265 Jalan Kayu
Tel: 6481 1322
Monday to Saturday - noon to 6pm
Sunday & public holidays - noon to 4pm
Closed on Wednesday

Jerry's BBQ & Grill
277 Jalan Kayu Singapore
Tel: 6484 0151
Opening Hours: Daily | 12pm – 10pm 
http://www.jerrybbq.com

No comments:

Post a Comment