Thursday, June 14, 2012

Postcard exchange project...








In this day and age of email, SMS and iMessaging, it's nice to know that there are people who are still into traditional snail mail. Hehe.

I stumbled upon Postcrossing via the tweet of one of the Singaporeans I follow on Twitter.

It got me interested, so I decided to head to the website to find out what it was about.

The next thing I know, I'm already signing up to be a member and requesting for five addresses to send postcards to.

Postcrossing is an online project whereby people from around the world send postcards to each other. If you send one postcard, you're supposed to get a postcard from another member.

What makes it even more interesting is that addresses are randomly generated. You dunno which country you're going to get next. You dunno where your next postcard will be coming from.

Just like other social networking sites, you create a profile on the site. You can indicate your preferences (e.g. Do you want to receive postcards from the country where you're currently living? What kind of postcards do you want to receive? What do you want postcard senders to write?).

Each address you get comes with a postcard-ID, which you should write on the postcard you're sending. The postcard-ID will then be logged into by the recipient of the postcard. This way, I think you build your credibility. You also get to send more postcards afterwards.

For beginners, the maximum number of postcards you can send is five. The addresses I got were from Russia, Netherlands, Germany, Finland, and USA. It's my first time ever to write to someone from Russia and Finland!!!

I mailed the batch tonight. Hopefully, they'll get to the recipients asap, so that I can start receiving postcards as well. Hehe! :)

Exciting, yeah?! :)

Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment