Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Art-sy Saturday...




There's a difference between Moden and Contemporary Art.

All thi time I've always thought that the terms can be used interchangeably.

But after the talk last Saturday for museum docents on Modern and Contemporary Art, I've finally learned the difference between the two. Hehe!

The Continuing Education group of the NMS docents invited an instructor from NAFA to give a talk on the said topic.

I decided to attend the talk out of curiosity and also as part of my preparation for the upcoming new exhibit at the museum, which would be mostly about paintings.

Basically, Modern Art covers 1860s to the 1960s. Everything after that is considered as Contemporary Art.

For about three hours, the instructor gave the participants a background on the different -isms under Modern and Contemporary Art.

It was a Saturday afternoon well-spent.

Meanwhile, Sunday noontime was also dedicated to museum volunteer duties.

I was assigned to do the 1PM guiding tour. I had plans to go watch Percy Jackson with PG Boy, Mr. Lim and PG Boy's best friend. However, I got my schedules mixed up so I had to give up the movie.

It was a good guiding experience though. The group I handled was a good mix - 3 Singaporeans, 2 Australians, 1 British, 1 Taiwanese, 1 American, 1 Malaysian, 3 Koreans.

This is my second time to guide on my own. This one is much better than the first one because I feel that I'm more confident now. Hehe.

I'm excited though for the upcoming special exhibit at the museum. As I mentioned earlier, it's mostly about paintings and that is why I'm looking forward to it. Gotta thank my Dad for that. Hehe!

2 comments:

  1. may tanong ako sayo ngayon, so it means hindi talaga pwede tawagin yung mga arts ngayon na modern arts? so contemporary arts talaga? kasi interesado din ako sa arts at sa tuwing nakakakita ako ng mga arts na nakakahawig ng style ni "picasso" e I consider it modern. Yung totoo, hindi ko talaga gets yung mga arts na hindi mo maintindihan at kailangan pa talaga nila iexplain yung arts na ginawa nila this and that at nakakaumay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi cyron. hmm, technically speaking, ang correct term would be contemporary art or post-modernism. ang ilan sa mga kasama dito ay pop art, performance art, feminist art, photorealism, environment art, graffiti art, video art.

      si picasso ay nasa modern art pa dahil kasama siya sa tinatawag na Cubist movement. kung may makikita kang art na kahawig ang style ni picasso, pwede mong sabihin o i-assume na iyong artist was influenced by picasso or ng cubism.

      medyo may challenge nga to understand modern art, lalo pa't ang contemporary art.

      sana nakatulong.

      Delete