Friday, September 20, 2013

Happy Mid-Autumn...



It's mooncake season again in Singapore (and I guess in Malaysia, China, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Thailand(?) as well...) Hehe!

Yesterday, my team mate Gen came over to my desk to give me the crispy snowskin mooncake above. Two weekends ago, PG Boy and I shared one of his many durian mooncakes. Last week, there was a mooncake in a carrier left in my room by Auntie I'm quite sure. Hehe!

Here at the office, I'm wondering though why the mooncakes from suppliers have not yet arrived. Hahaha! They usually send the very good ones like those from Goodwood Park Hotel. Haha! Anyway, it's okay.

Having observed three mid-Autumn festivals now, I'm really curious to find out the reason behind the festival. I asked my friend Mr. Lim about it the first time. Surprise, surprise, the man doesn't know. Hehe!

From what I read, the festival has something to do with the harvesting season. The festival is a way of celebrating a good harvest (I think). I'm more curious about the folk tale and the mooncakes. The folk tale has something to do with the moon goddess Chang'e. As expected, there are a few versions of the stories. Some are nice, some are not so nice. Hehe! Of course, I would go for one of the nicer ones. Long story short, Chang'e sacrificed her life. As a tribute to her wife, Chang'e's husband Hou Yi would prepare mooncake offerings every year on the night when the moon was brightest to remember her.

There are other versions. Just Google. Hehe!

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!

No comments:

Post a Comment