Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Boys Who Are Making History...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

One of the best films I have seen so far this year is The History Boys.

When I read in the papers that it was going to be shown in Glorietta, I made sure that I got to see this fantastic film.

The film was released in October 2006, and had it not been shown here in Manila, I wouldn't know it existed. Adapted from the play of the same name, The History Boys was written by Alan Bennett and was directed by Nicholas Hytner. The plan bagged the 2005 Olivier Award for Best New Play and the 2006 Tony Award for Best Play.

To give a bit of info about it, the setting is the 1980s at a fictional boys' grammar school in the north of England. The play revolves around a group of history students who are preparing for the Oxbridge (Oxford-Cambridge) entrance examinations. This was the first time that the school had such an accomplishment so the pressure was on.

Playing an important role in guiding the students are two teachers (Irwin and Hector) who have very polarized teaching styles.

A mix of both comedy and tragedy, the storyline involves severall themese - growing up, education, teaching methods, homosexuality, to name a few.

I completely enjoyed the film because I'm a fan of movies that are in an academic setting (since I love the academe) and because it was LGBT-related. What I also liked about it was that the script was written so well. It sounds weird but very rarely do I get excited about the dialogues and words spoken out by characters. (It must be the "writer" in me.)

Anyway, if you have a chance, you should watch this.

No comments:

Post a Comment