Thursday, July 10, 2008

Acronym overload...

Just came from the pilot run of a seminar conducted by Human Resources. Basically, the objective of the seminar is to give a background about the telco industry to new employees. It was good, and I think it's something that new employees should undergo.

After the seminar, I must say that I think this industry is one of the most acronym-packed sectors. Haha! Within the first hour of the training, we've been told about MIN, SMS, MMS, SIM, IVRS, ICCID, IMSI, IMEI, HLR, BTS, CSD, HSCD, GPRS, EDGE, to name a few. Haha!

But as I mentioned, the seminar would be helpful, particularly for people like me who came from a non-telco company. I think it would be most useful when I find myself in situations where subscribers are asking about all sorts of technical stuff, and I can't really say, "Uhm, most of my assignments are on the social outreach programs of the company."

Because once you go out there and you carry the name of the company, they wouldn't be asking which department you're from. As long as you're from that company, you're somehow expected to know all the answers. Eeeep! And whether we like it or not, we are unofficial walking ambassadors of the company.

Anyway, more about acronyms. Whereas the government has a thing for slogans, I've observed that the sector I am in has a thing for acronyms. Hehe! There's nothing wrong with it. I'm just finding it really amusing. From my very first day, I already encountered all sorts of acronyms apart from the ones I mentioned above. There's NEO, SDP, SEP, IMW. There's FYA, RNSS, RFP and so on.

But the mother of all acronyms is PSF EEG MVP AEA. I had to say the complete meaning of the acronym during a hosting gig and I had to stop midway just to get some air. Hehehe!

Okay, that's it for today. And remembers, friends, BIONIC.

That's Believe It Or Not, I Care. Hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment