Sunday, April 19, 2009

Bayani Challenge was one fun challenge...







After the Bayani Challenge experience in Bukidnon last year, I must say that I was really looking forward to be part of this year's Bayani Challenge. The sites for this year were Zamboanga and Sulu. To be honest, I really would have wanted to go to the Sulu leg. But I knew my head was going to get chopped off, not by terrorists, but by my bosses if they found out that I (and my colleagues) went ahead and joined. Haha! I was lucky enough to be able to go to Jolo and Lamiitan three years ago and it was an experience I wouldn't mind repeating.

Anyway, the Bayani Challenge Zamboanga trip was just as good. It was my first time to visit Zamboanga and I fell in love with the city. What I feel for Iloilo is what I feel for Zamboanga now (but this is a whole other entry.)

The other thing I thoroughly enjoyed was meeting the SMARTees of Zamboanga. It's always enjoyable to meet local SMARTees because they're really warm and they really make an effort to make you feel welcome.

Ms. Lalaine and Ms. Janet were super nice to fetch Judee, Mich and me at the airport. The three of us were really hungry so our first stop was at Chinito's. Woohoo! Local food. I had the grilled tanigue. Judee had calamari. Mich had grilled bangus. I also tried the Zambo White, some kind of lychee slush, which was good.

From Chinito's, we drove to Culianan, which was twenty minutes away from the city. Zambo SMARTees will have a summer storytelling session in a local school and Judee et al had to meet with the principal. After Culianan, we had to drive the opposite way. Our destination was Tulungatong, the site of the Zamboanga Bayani Challenge.

On the way to the site, my eyes were looking left and right while on the road just trying to absorb the local scenery. There was so much to see, so much to admire. As I've mentioned a million times before, I really, really, REALLY love the countryside.

Anyway, when we got to Tulungatong, the Bayani Challenge was already in full swing, as expected. The first thing we did was to see how the Ateneo de Zamboanga and Universidad de Zamboanga teams were doing. I was impressed, because after just four days, both teams have accomplished so much already. After some interviews, I went around to check out the other teams. It's always inspiring to attend the Bayani Challenge because I am reminded of my Pahinungod days. Awww, I terribly, terribly miss those days. It was so much different, and until now, I would still say that those three years were the best years of my life.

On Friday, it was time to join the Zambo SMARTees for their first ever house build and Bayani Challenge. We were blessed with somewhat good weather. It was neither hot nor wet (but still, I got a really bad case of sunburn on my nape, on my calves, and my feet.). It was amusing to watch the SMARTees work, because they were all really excited. It was great to work with them, because we got to exchange stories and I really felt the volunteerism among the group.

Highlights of the two days at the Bayani Challenge, aside from working alongside the SMARTees, ADZU and UZ volunteers, were getting to hear Tony Meloto and brothers Luis and Mari Oquinena talk about the event. I always feel inspired after talking to them. I've met Luis and Mari back when I was in college during my YFC days. We even went on a mission trip to Bacolod and Dumaguete, but I don't think Luis remembers me at all. Hehe!

If there was one thing I would've really wanted to experience though, it would be to go to the Bayani Challenge as a participant and not for work. Not to document, not to do interviews, but to really be part of a team and do the heavy lifting.

That would be awesome. Congrats to GK and til the next Bayani Challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment