Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Some thoughts on fashion journalism because of Carla and Michelle...

Photo: Philippe Wojazer/Reuters

A couple of years ago, a graduate school class required me and fellow students to write profile a person who was somehow related to the socio-political environment at that time. I've never been interested in politics nor politicians, so.

I thought to myself, "Hmmm, what aspect of politics could I be interested in?" And that's when it dawned on me that I could probably interview the stylist to the President, Joanne Zapanta-Andrada. It was a bit timely because the SONA was just around the corner (or had just ended, I can't remember) and at that time, GMA was an embattled President. So I thought surely her choice in clothing will say something. When I told that to my professor, I got the feeling that the professor was amused. I don't know. Maybe because the professor had a different view on journalism, and probably didn't see fashion journalism as a legitimate kind of journalism. I, on the other hand, am so into it. I particularly like NY Times' Cathy Horyn and Guy Trebay, Style.com's Tim Blanks, and US Vogue's Sarah Mower.

Now that I mention this, how come fashion journalism isn't included as an elective in the degree curriculum? (Is there actually a journalism degree in this country that includes fashion journalism in its curriculum?)

Anyway, I got to interview JZA much thanks to a friend who knew her. It was one of the best interviews I've ever had. She was a beauty and brains rolled into one magnificent lady. I got a good grade. I was happy. I hoped that the I somehow sent a message to the professor that clothes and makeup and everything fashion are not always as superficial as most people think this world to be.

I've always believed that clothes, accessories say something about a person, which is why I've been really fascinated by the news articles on the recent meeting of two First Ladies at a NATO summit - US's Michelle Obama and France's Carla Bruni-Sarkozy. Prior to the event, I'm guessing fashion bloggers (and maybe some fashion journalists) were really excited because of a possibility of a grand showdown between the two style icons.

It may not have been the showdown many expected, but if there's one thing to be taken from the whole thing, it is that Mrs. Obama and Mrs. Sarkozy clearly got to show the world that they have each has her own style and taste in fashion.

Right from the start, Mrs. Obama has been champion of young designers (Jason Wu, Thakoon Panigchul). This is really admirable of her. I remember the big guessing game that took place of what she would wear to the inaugural ball. Quite a lot thought that she would choose a creation from the established fashion houses - Chanel, DVF, de la Renta, but she surprised everyone when she chose the work of young designer Jason Wu. (Closer to home, I wonder if GMA wears Jun Escario or Ivar Aseron or any from the younger designers. That could probably help the local fashion industry.)

Mrs. Sarkozy, on the other hand, is very much loyal to her country's finest couturiers, choosing on several occasions to wear national treasure, Dior. She is after all living in the fashion capital of the world. The press avidly follows her fashion choices and it seems that the First Lady has never disappointed. It's not so much a surprise, given that she used to model for Chanel.

Hmm, this was a fun blog post to write. Wondering if it's too late to shift to writing - really real writing - about fashion. Hehehe!

No comments:

Post a Comment