Monday, April 6, 2009

A manual for the ones headed towards a single life...

How does one prepare for a single life?

That was one question that came to my head last Saturday, while I was at Enchanted Kingdom for the company's Fun Familia event. I'm not sure if it was too many rides on the Grand Carousel because the two-year-old niece of Tey wanted to ride it forever, or if it was the fact that all around me were families and couples.

At one point, I jokingly told Tey, "Given the thousand people here today, surely, there must be one other guy who is in the same situation as I am, right? Some nice, decent, humorous, and (insanely) charming guy (pabayaan ninyo na... hahaha!) wondering if there's another guy like him here. I refuse to think that the gods will be that cruel and single me out." We laughed about it.

After having unsuccessful tries in dating this quarter, I think I'm going to take it easy for awhile. Sure, if a friend wants to set me up with someone, then I'll be grateful. But other than that, dating (if you can call it that) should probably be on the sidelines for the meantime. Let's start with friendship first.

Going back to the question at the start which is really what this blog entry is about, how does one prepare for the single life? When a person is about to get hitched, you find all sorts of books that give guidance. From etiquette to customs to choice of table napkin, there are a million books out there ready to dish advice on the matter.

But what about for people who appear to be headed down the single road, what has the world to say? One book I found is the one above. I didn't buy the book. I don't know why. Didn't even bother to look at the table of contents. I just decided to take a stupid photo. Hahaha! Too proud, I guess. Haha! Or perhaps an attempt to not accept the situation. Haha!

I wish I knew what to prepare. For example, are there condos where the residents are all single, successful people who don't think about their relationship status? What kind of insurance should I start thinking about? What bank services should I get now to be guaranteed of a comfortable life when my hair is all gray? Is there a version of Elsie Gaches for my kind, so to speak? When my brothers get married and start their own families, who among my friends can be on my list of In Case of Emergencies? (Well, Thea is. So will Carlo be.) Is there some kind of checklist or manual I can refer to when certain questions about the single life and living it pop up?

I guess turning thirty has something to do with why these things are in my head. Don't get me wrong. I'm excited to turn 30. I'm really looking forward to it. I have this belief that with it comes a newer level of authority and wisdom. (If there isn't any, please don't tell me. Let me burst my own bubble. Haha!)

Roy told me that I think too much. I guess I do. Haha! Maybe because it's Holy Week? No, I don't think so. I guess I'm like this because of something that recently happened. And this is why I'm really glad for spinning and running. I get to clear my head and just drown in the music and the rush and the kick from it. Haha!

I should just stop thinking, put on my running shoes and hit the road...err... the treadmill and just take each day as it comes. Jonathan Larson did say, "No day but today."

No comments:

Post a Comment