Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Anna Wintour on 60 Minutes

Photobucket



Watch CBS Videos Online


Recently read about a feature on US Vogue editrix Anna Wintour on CBS' 60 Minutes. Thanks to YouTube, I got to watch the video. Woohooo!

Uhm, while I enjoyed the feature because it gave a glimpse of how Anna works and what her world is like, I didn't like the way CBS correspondent Morley Safer handled the segment.

I don't know if it was his way of showing that he way being objective about the whole topic, but I found it a bit off that he used a couple of strong words to describe Anna, the fashion world and certain fashion icons. Lagerfeld for the "dracula look" or saying that Galliano is "in need of a better tailor." Whoa!

What was the objective of the feature anyway? Was it to inspire? Was it to show that the fashion industry is not all glamour? Was it to show how, and I dare say this, the most powerful woman in fashion works and makes decisions resulting in Vogue keeping its position as the style bible? I don't know.

And then there's the reference again to The Devil Wears Prada. It's just so tired and passe already. Barbara Walters already used the reference to the movie when she interviewed Anna a couple of years back (?), so surely the CBS feature could have done something different.

I thought CNN's feature on Carine Roitfeld was much, much, much better. I wonder how the feature would have come out if they did a similar format for Anna.

But like I said earlier, I enjoyed the feature because this is one of the few times that I get to see all the work that goes into producing Vogue. I'm really glad that such icons like Wintour and Roitfeld are slowly opening their doors to the overly criticizing public.

No comments:

Post a Comment