Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Doctor and kaliskis-free fish...

I went to see the doctor earlier to ask how I can manage my uric acid levels.

The results of the annual physical exam have arrived. Since I've been trying to live the healthy life lately, I thought I'd go see the doctor to seek his advice on what I can do about the uric acid results.

When my name was finally called by the doctor, I went into the clinic, took my seat and told him my concern. I showed him the results of my APE.

He didn't look bothered at all. That's good, right? Because if he did, that would make me nervous. Or maybe this particular doctor was trained to put on a p-p-poker face very well. Or maybe he just didn't care. Haha! Nyerks! Hello, mag-Judge Judy ba ng todo?! Haha!

Anyway, after checking out the results of my APE, he had to refer me to another doctor for the other item on the results, and he said I need not worry about the other item (my BP) because it was normal.

Going to the uric acid thing. He was dishing out his advice and while I was all ears to him, I couldn't help but lough out loud twice during his monologue. I did apologize though. I didn't want to leave that room with a scalpel sticking out of my throat. Hehe!

Although I'm sure he understood too why I seemed amused with his advice.

Doctor: "So you have to undergo a strict change in diet..."
Me: "Okay, got it."
Doctor: "Avoid, oatmeal, red meat, innards, isdang walang kaliskis..."
Me in Laugh Out Loud 1: "May isda bang kaliskis-free?"

(Note: The answer is yes. According to Twitter friends Jayce and Jamie - tuna, catfish and GG.)

Doctor: "...poultry, beans, soya, taho..., basically, everything."
Me in Laugh Out Loud 2: "Okay. Everything. Got it."

I asked the doctor if I needed to take meds, since my friends who are in the same boat are taking meds. But I did clarify with him that it's not because inggitero ako and I wanted my meds. Hehe! I just wanted to understand.

And dear doctor goes, "You don't need meds. You're still young, and you know, some of the meds could have some side effects. There are about 10 side effects that are fatal, and another 10 that are non-fatal."

I go, "Ooookay! So, yeah, I'll do that diet then." Hahaha!

That was an interesting visit to the doctor. I left his office and before going back to the office, I decided to schedule a consult with the other doctor.

At least, walang Overweight or Obese type 1 on my APE results.

2 comments:

  1. Ako naman, i consulted a doc for my asthma 2 years ago . She's a susyal looking chinese lady na pulmunologist sa Makati med. Perfectly coifed ang hair and ang pula ng lipstick, perfectly flawless porcelain white skin. You get the picture of a scary looking chinese lady diba?

    So mejo tensed ako when i consulted her..she went about her usual interview..and her last question to me was...do you have dogs in the house? I said I have 3 lhasa apsos. Tumaas ang kilay, she gave me that "e kaya naman pala look", sabay sabing "so what are you gonna do about those dogs then?" na condescending ang tone.

    Hindi naman ako papatalo..bumanat ako ng.."well, you don't expect me to boot my dogs out of the house do you?"

    Nagulat ang matanda, akala nya siguro masisindak ako ng inglis nya, she smiled and right there and then she gave me my bestest friend in the whole wide world: Seretide Inhaler.

    Mula nung episode na yun, friends na kami ni doctora. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meron kang asthma?! Chris, somehow I find that very hard to believe! Haha!

    Natawa ako dun sa consult mo with the doktora. Sindakan lang pala ng Ingles. Haha! You handled things very well, ah. At nagkaroon ka pa ng friend na doktora.

    Nung bata pa ako, constant problem ko iyang asthma. As in. Gamit ko dati Ventolin - liquid, inhaler, pati powder. Tapos suki ako ng ER for nebulizer. Na-outgrow ko na lang din, thanks be to gad.

    ReplyDelete