Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Legally Blonde was legally superrrr...







Legally Blonde was legally superrrr!!!

Saturday afternoon was spent at the Meralco theater with a former colleague Grace, who is my usual sidekick when it comes to watching musicals.

Of the three venues where plays/musicals are usually held (RCBC, Greenbelt 1, Meralco), Meralco is definitely my favorite, for very obvious reasons.

Anyway, when Grace and I entered the theater, I already got excited. The stage was framed by a pink light. You just get the feeling that behind the curtains, there’s an even more spectacular view to behold. That was just the icing on the cake. When we got to our seats, I was extremely happy because we got a fantab view of the stage.

And when the curtains finally opened, I was floored. The set design was just awesome! It was pink all over! The pink lights looked elegant and beautiful, not the kind of pink that hurts one's eyes.

The music started playing, and the next two and a half hours were a super sweet treat for the eyes and the ears.

I knew it was Nikki Gil who was playing Elle Woods. I didn't know how good she was until that afternoon. She was really good. She delivered her lines perfectly. She spoke beautifully. And the girl can sing really, really well! My apologies if I seemed that surprised. The only things I know about Nikki Gil are the Coke TVC and the Asian version of a song from HSM.

Since I didn’t read much about the production, I was thrilled to see how powerhouse the cast was. Theater stalwarts Joel Trinidad, Jett Pangan, Cris Villonco,Calvin Millado, Felix Rivera. Other surprises included Geneva Cruz playing Brooke Wyndham, Nyoy Volante as Emmett Forrest, and Guji Lorenzana who played Warner Huntington.

Except for the sound issues once in a while (which were totally forgivable), the numbers were really super.

I liked “Omigod,” "Serious," "What you want," "Chip on my shoulder," "There! Right there."

The dance numbers were also extremely entertaining. The most difficult, in my opinion, is “Whipped into Shape.” The number included a lot of jump rope sequences. I was constantly worried that a performer or two might get his/her foot caught in the rope and fall. But no, the number was executed very well!

All in all, the show was great! You’d be laughing all throughout the show. And you’re definitely going to leave the theater with a big smile on your face. I would watch it again, if I can find the time and if the tickets aren’t sold out yet.

Congratulations to dear Chari Arespacochaga for another superb production! Fantab work!

I actually have the soundtrack of Legally Blonde. Fellow musical lover Wes gave me a copy ages ago, but I haven't really listened to it. Now that I finally got to watch the musical, I think you now know what's going to be on repeat on my iPod on the next few days.

Video via OAP.com

No comments:

Post a Comment