Saturday, June 5, 2010

I'm seeing green this weekend...





Weekend work.

I love it that my "office" sometimes is a barangay coastline or a mountain forest or a rural community. I love it that to get to "work" sometimes, I have to walk by the shore or make a trek. It's definitely not your usual work. Hehe!

We went to Barangay Cagsao in the municipality of Calabanga here in Camarines Sur. It's about a 40-minute drive from Naga City.

The last time I was here was in August. That's when we started planting mangrove propagules along the coastline of the barangay.

Boy, was I surprised with what I saw when we made our way to the planting site?! The mangroves have grown! Woohoo! Almost 80-90% survival rate, according to the local DENR. I should post a photo of how the coastline looked like before the planting of the mangroves.

Anyway, just a little bit of info. The mangrove planting is part of the disaster risk reduction efforts of the barangay. Mangrove are a good natural defense against storm surges. If the mangroves we planted continue to grow well, then it'll be of good use to the local community. Aside from being a natural protection, mangroves are also a source of livelihood. You can sell the propagules. Shrimps and crabs make the mangroves their home, so you can catch these and sell them.

I'm back in Naga now. I'm supposed to go home tomorrow, but all flights are booked. Ugh! There's a medical convention here in Naga. O ha! Huma-happening na ang Naga. Hehe!

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment