Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Of famous people and people who should be famous



Through my work, non-work activities, passion and interests, I feel blessed to have met several wonderful people who have made a dent in my life, in one way or another.

I’m not really talking about friends, but people you don't know when you will see again, or if you will ever see them again.

You just happened to be right there at that moment that they are there too. Some are planned, some are unplanned. But whichever the case, I'm really grateful for having had the opportunity to cross paths with them.

While reviewing in my head who the interesting people I've met are, I'm amused and happy to realize that they come from really diverse backgrounds - grassroots, academe, showbiz, publishing, corporate, arts, sports, health, fashion.

On my way to work this morning, I'm trying to see who has had the most impact on me - people who have had an influence on the way I think, the principles I live by today.

I don’t know if I should name names. Maybe just ask me when we see each other. Hehe!

Among the famous people, the ones who have somehow really struck me include a (should-be) national artist because of her works, a model-turned-photographer/stylist because she really is beauty and brains, a power society figure who taught me a lot about taking photos.

As for the people who should be famous, the list would include a community doctor who helped me reconcile my thoughts on volunteerism with one aspect of my life, a priest working with a community in Mindoro who helped me understand what immersion really is, a group of academicians who never failed to ignite the passion for volunteerism among the people in the room, and then there are the LGBT rights advocates we featured in the Power Issue of Icon - a teacher/poet who shared with me how life was like for gays and lesbians way, way back, a socio-civic who opened her home to young lesbians who needed a "home," a faculty from a Catholic university who introduced me to LGBT fiction.

These are the few I can remember.

Famous in the larger society, famous in their own circles, should-be famous, what was common among them is that they are passionate about the field they are in, they stand by what they believe in, and they carry this flame which just ignites the dying embers within you.

If good vibes, passion, zest for something, and enthusiasm were a virus, they are the perfect carriers.

And I’m more than happy because at one point in my life, I met them and got “infected.”

"We are led to those who help us most to grow..."

So goes a line from one of my favorite showtunes. Hehe!

I have to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment