Monday, October 18, 2010

Of careers and work I love...




After getting my diploma from Peyups, I thought I would instantly embark on a career in the corporate world.

Months of searching for a career in the corporate world and nothing. Instead, job hunting led me to... surprise, surprise... my own university.

My first job was with the Ugnayan ng Pahinungod, the volunteer group of the University of the Philippines. October 2000 - December 2003. Some people say things happen for a reason, and that you are brought to a certain place because you have to learn something from it.

It didn't take me long for me to understand why I landed the Pahinungod job. Though I was already familiar with the organization even before I came to UP (my Mom provided catering services to the group), it was only when I became part of it did I fully understand what it meant to be there, what it meant to be a Pahinungod.

Simply put, volunteerism in the midst of daily life. To not just be another face in the crowd. To make a difference even in the smallest way.

So in the three years I was with Pahinungod, the seeds of volunteerism were not just planted in me. I'd like to think that the seeds grew, and its branches made me reach out to others to tell them about volunteerism. Until now, I still carry with me the ideals taught by the numerous Pahinungods I have met in that short span of time.

From the university, I moved to an outsourcing company. I lasted six months. It wasn't for me. After that, I was involved in a business/advocacy project with friends for two years. We were dreamers. We wanted something that the local situation couldn't give. What do we do? We give it to ourselves and to others. I will write about this in another entry.

The next job was with a shipping company. Corporate Communications. I was lucky enough to be under very smart and strong women who taught me much about CorpComm and other things.

And then in the middle of 2007, I was blessed to bag a job in one of the country's top companies. My official title is Public Affairs officer. But my roles have included writer/graphic artist/exhibit curator/photographer/stylist/art director/proofreader/editor/food service attendant/production assistant/interior decorator/events organizer/team mascot... and so on. Haha!

I'm very happy to have performed all roles because I believe all of these have contributed to my development as a professional in this industry.

Specifically, I handle the publicity/communications for a number of Corporate Social Responsibility projects.

In a way, it's similar to what I did for Pahinungod and I'm really, really glad to be where I am right now. I get to do something that I like, and I get paid to do it. How often do you get that? Corporate social responsibility is different.

I've been with the company for over three years now and things are going great. I'm handling a project right now that I'm really excited about, on top of the other things. I've got a full plate, but hey, I'm doing okay. Hehe!

So this is it for today.

Tomorrow, I will write about people I've met along the way - famous people and people who should be famous...

No comments:

Post a Comment