Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Tuesday night with the Zobel bros...








I was initially planning to go for a run last night, but then Richie messaged me asking me if I wanted to go to a Filipino book launch at the Asian Civilisations Museum.

Without thinking (lol!), I asked him what time we were to meet.

It turns out the book to be launched was the Philippine Ancestral Gold, which is about the 1,000 pre-Hispanic gold objects found in various parts of the country and is now on permanent exhibit at the Ayala Museum in Makati.

The exhibit Gold of Ancestors: Pre-colonial Treasures in the Philippines is one I've been to a couple of times, and it is really one exhibit worth visiting. I like how the pieces were put on display, as well as the accompanying audio-visual presentations.

As I was walking to ACM, I saw from afar Jaime Augusto Zobel de Ayala (aka JAZA) and wife Lizzie headed to ACM as well.

I wondered if I could get a photo with them. Haha!

Minutes later, Richie and Coly arrived and we proceeded to the second level of the museum where the launch was held. JAZA's brother, Fernando, was already there.

Aside from the presentation of the book, the other highlights of the launch were the presentations from the book’s editor and author Dr. Florina Capistrano-Baker, former Ayala Museum director, and co-author John Miksic, associate professor from the National University of Singapore.

The launch was followed by cocktails.

Here's how the photo came:

Richie said he wanted to have the book signed by the bros. I wanted to have a photo with them. So we stayed at the event hall and waited for a chance to talk to JAZA and FZA. It took several, several minutes of waiting, because several guests wanted to chat to the brothers.

The good thing was the waiting paid off.

Dr Baker was chatting with FZA and JAZA, so Richie stepped out to the foyer either to get some food or to look for Mon and Coly.

That was when I saw Dr Baker bid the Zobel bros farewell. The brothers were about to walk to the foyer area, and I thought that might be the only opportunity to get them to sign the book.

So I walked up to them and nervously said, "Mr. Zobel, may I please ask you to sign this book for my friend, who seems to have gone missing?"

While they signed the book, we got to chat for a few minutes. I told them about how I've been to the exhibit, that I would take friends from abroad to the exhibit, that I was an intern with AC back in 1999. Richie eventually showed up and he told them about his brother who works for Ayala Land.

The brothers were really nice. Definitely an unforgettable Tuesday night.

So that was it.

The book is available at the NUS Press. $95 for the paperback.

If you're in Makati, make sure to visit the Crossroads of Civilisation "Gold of Ancestors: Pre-colonial Treasures in the Philippines" exhibit at the Ayala Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment