Saturday, November 17, 2012

Company the musical on a Friday night...



PG Boy and I, along with another friend, managed to catch the local adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's musical Company yesterday night at the National Library Drama Centre.

My friend Ivan was part of the cast and I did tell him I planned to watch. Thanks to Ivan, we were able to get really good seats at a really good price. Yay!

Company revolves around thirty-something single urbanite Bobby who is surrounded by a group of married friends. Throughout the musical, Bobby's friends talk to him about the ups and downs, the good, the bad about being single and being married.

The lead character in the Singapore production is played by Peter Ong (who's from Penang. WoohoO!). It's my first time to see him perform and he is good.

Overall, I really enjoyed the show. I loved how it was sort of localized. I may not be Singaporean, but having lived here for almost two years now, I actually enjoyed that Hossan Leong and his Dream World Productions made the musical more relevant to the local audience. Hehe!

Company won SEVEN Tony Awards, including Best Musical.

Really glad to have been able to catch the last performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment