Friday, November 2, 2012

New Toy: Kino...










I just realized I haven't written about Kino yet. Haha!

Kino is my newest toy - a Kindle 4.

Yup, I'm partly switching to the dark side. A few months ago, I've been contemplating on whether I should go for a Kindle or not. Two colleagues of mine were really convincing me to get a Kindle based on their own happy experiences. At one point, I almost got in touch with a local seller to get a Kindle Touch. It was affordable. And it was practical.

However, the tradiitonal guy in me was sort of resisting to getting a Kindle, or any ebook reader for that matter. I'm one of those dorks who is still in love with the traditional books. I admit. I'm one of those fools who get intoxicated from smelling the fresh pages of a newly opened book. Haha! I love feeling the texture of the paper against my fingers.

So, yeah, I was delaying the purchase of a Kindle.

That was until Tuesday last week when PG Boy arrived from his US hols trip.

After I picked him up at the airport, we headed to his house. I brought his stuff inside the room and then went back to the living room to chat with his housemate E. I also figured PG Boy may want to rest a bit or start unpacking.

A few minutes later, I went back into the room saw a few items on the bed that made me smile wide. PG Boy was able to get the books by Michael Thomas Ford and Alex Sanchez, which I asked him to buy. These two guys are among my fave, fave LGBT authors. Aside from the books, there were also a few tees from Hollister, Gap and Banana Rep.

While I was busy smelling the pages of the new books (haha!), I didn't notice PG Boy take out a black box from his luggage. I turned around and handed over the black box. I already had an idea what it was. I opened the box and as I had expected, there it was - a shiny, sleek black Kindle.

I got excited when I saw the new toy. I gave PG Boy a big hug and ... to thank him for the present.

The next few days, I was busy tinkering with it. With the help of Google and Amazon, I was able to set it up. Thanks to my colleague, I was able to get a bunch of titles.

When I got home that night, I spent an hour or two reading about how to buy Amazon ebooks when you're outside of the US. Not only was I able to figure out how to buy ebooks, I also tried buying the ebooks. Haha! I went for a new title by Timothy James Beck (also an author whose work I loved) and another title by Jay Bell. (First time to hear of him and his book was quite affordable so I decided to get it, too.)

The following morning, I was already reading from my Kindle. And I was really loving it. The gadget was light. It was easy to use. It made me feel cool. Haha!

So, yes, so far I have really been enjoying my Kindle whom I have christened Kino.

Why Kino? Uhm, it sounds silly but I got it from Kinokuniya as a form of respect to traditional bookstores. Haha!

Speaking of bookstores and Kinokuniya, my team mates from work got me vouchers for Kino as a birthday pressie. I still haven't completely crossed over to the dark side, you know. Haha!

But if someone were to ask me whether I would advise getting an ebook reader, I think I would say yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment