Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Time Fall 2007 Style & Design Now Out...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Yesterday, while walking around Gateway Mall, I stopped by the magazine stand which I usually visit whenever I'm there. And even from afar, I could already see that one of the magazines I love so much, but is so hard to find, is on sale. The Fall 2007 Time Style & Design is now out. So I did get a copy, and waited til lunch time today to open and go through the issue.

I'm kind of disappointed though because there are some features on the website that aren't featured on the print edition, particularly the 10 Questions with Valentino and the fashion editorial of Hilary Rhoda. I'm not sure if Time Asia's Style & Design is different from the US edition, but whatever the case, I don't understand why there has to be a difference. In general, I have always been a fan of Time Style & Design. The people behind the supplement just have a different way of presenting fashion. So I love, love, love every issue of it. Each issue that I got is well-treasured, I have to tell you.

The other thing I'm a bit disappointed about is I'm starting to get this idea that when our friends from the Western side of the world say "Asian," what they're really referring to are the Chinese or the Japanese. How many times have I seen in magazines or books the headline "Asia this or Asia that" but when I read the article or the story, the only ones mentioned are the Chinese or the Japanese. Sure, the Japanese purchase about 40% of the world's luxury goods, but other countries with growing markets and consumers with increasing purchasing power could also have a share in the pie, right? For the feature on "Global Luxury Survey," I wish the story also looked into the fashion scene in the Philippines and the other countries in Southeast Asia. Here in the Philippines, the fashion industry has really grown and many young designers are getting more opportunities because women (and to a certain extent, men) are starting to be more conscious of the clothes they wear.

Want more evidence? In the past few years, Gucci, YSL, Narciso Rodriguez, to name a few, have opened stores in the country. Michael Kors and Marc Jacobs stores are soon to open. Prada, Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Ferragamo, Charriol, Hugo Boss all have stores in the country. Josie Natori, Monique Lhuillier, Bea Valdez, Tina Maristela Ocampo and their works have all been featured in Vogue. The local fashion magazines are at par with the world's best, too, I daresay. Take a look at the September issue of Preview. The cover just blew me away. So I'd like to think that's quite an achievement for a small archipelago in the East?

I did enjoy the cover story, which focused on Women in Luxury, women who lead the global luxury business, such as Jimmy Choo's Tamara Mellon and YSL's Valerie Hermann. Filipino designer Josie Natori is also in a photo with Vera Wang on the Editor's Note, so that's something to be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment